Athens Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to Athens Scuba Park this weekend and had a great time. I am taking a group back this weekend and camping. I have never slept in a tent before so it should be interesting. If you have not tried Athens before you should they have a couple jets, busses and similated caves to explore. Athens sure beats Blue Lagoon! where the viz sucks and there is not much interesting to look at....the viz at Athens was 25'+

goofystan:
Went to Athens Scuba Park this weekend and had a great time. I am taking a group back this weekend and camping. I have never slept in a tent before so it should be interesting. If you have not tried Athens before you should they have a couple jets, busses and similated caves to explore. Athens sure beats Blue Lagoon! where the viz sucks and there is not much interesting to look at....the viz at Athens was 25'+

If you enjoyed Athens....a few miles northwest is Terrell the home of Clear Springs Scuba park...worth your visit.

Cooling off
Have dinner early and get everything ready for bed. Then take your BC and a Dr.Pepper (or drink of choice) and go hangout in the lake for 30-45minutes. Just float in your BC and tell jokes and hangout. The lake will act like a heat sink and your body will cool down and then going to sleep will be a breeze. Do not camp close to the train tracks- camp site 4 or 5 (I think) the train comes through in the dead of the night- and yes will wake your or your companion up. Its like a snipe hunt gone bad, you awaken to this loud noise at 2am wondering what in the heck that is….Then you realize it’s the train.

There are tents for sale that have a solid fly and mesh walls. These are great in the summer because the allow wind or slight breeze to blow through but if a storm blows up then you are still in good shape with the fly cover. Or if you need to change you can throw the fly cover back on. I leave the fly attached at two corners- easier to grab and pull over.

I would recommend an air mattress if you are tenting it. Most divers have the lp hose connection for filling air mattresses- makes life a breeze. Strange having 32% nitrox in your air mattress—He He He

If anyone in your group has lightened or colored hair (or similar) do not have it done the week before you leave. I have had blondes turn green and one lady had her hair colored and it came out light BLUE. No joke- the metal content in the water has this effect. Mayo and lemon juice gets it out. Just pouring lemon juice through their hair works also. It helps if the ladies put conditioner in their hair before entering the water- reduces the absorption. In the summer you might feel this tacky material on your skin. Take advantage of the free showers- it removes most of it. For classes make sure you bring something to clean your mask with (Windex or mask scrub)- if the water get too warm you get a film on the inside of your mask. Been there….

In my past experience the lake has its moments at certain times of the year for clarity. This time of year and early fall are great. If you arrive on Friday it is great. But if you show up and 200 people show up then no the vis is really going to be terrible. Hummm, done that to. Remember the clay bottom does not fall out of solution. Once you or a student makes a cloud it can hang for a very long period of time.

I have spent my fair share of time diving that pond for open water weekends. It is great and my hat off to Calvin for constantly doing capital improvements. – pool, hot tub, more junk underwater, and recently (last year) I saw my first crawfish (green but still kicking.)

Please take care with the Simulated cave; for many years cave divers have worked hard to preserve the ideas that there are direct and indirect hazards with cave diving. That “thing” he has in the water is simply an underwater rain culvert and could be dangerous. My concern is that people think that cave diving is that easy when it is not. Training is required and I hope that people do not think that a cave environment would be similar when it is nothing like it.- Sorry but it does not belong in the park with OW divers.

Windy point (Lake Travis, Austin) is still my favorite for fresh water lake diving- nothing like deep walls.
San Marcos River- for floating down the river and the fish life- plus the waterfalls.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Athens.

Now I just need a trip to Flower Gardens to relax…..Hummm

Dive Safe, Andrew

Crazyduck:
Cooling off
Have dinner early and get everything ready for bed. Then take your BC and a Dr.Pepper (or drink of choice) and go hangout in the lake for 30-45minutes. Just float in your BC and tell jokes and hangout. The lake will act like a heat sink and your body will cool down and then going to sleep will be a breeze. Do not camp close to the train tracks- camp site 4 or 5 (I think) the train comes through in the dead of the night- and yes will wake your or your companion up. Its like a snipe hunt gone bad, you awaken to this loud noise at 2am wondering what in the heck that is….Then you realize it’s the train.

There are tents for sale that have a solid fly and mesh walls. These are great in the summer because the allow wind or slight breeze to blow through but if a storm blows up then you are still in good shape with the fly cover. Or if you need to change you can throw the fly cover back on. I leave the fly attached at two corners- easier to grab and pull over.

I would recommend an air mattress if you are tenting it. Most divers have the lp hose connection for filling air mattresses- makes life a breeze. Strange having 32% nitrox in your air mattress—He He He

If anyone in your group has lightened or colored hair (or similar) do not have it done the week before you leave. I have had blondes turn green and one lady had her hair colored and it came out light BLUE. No joke- the metal content in the water has this effect. Mayo and lemon juice gets it out. Just pouring lemon juice through their hair works also. It helps if the ladies put conditioner in their hair before entering the water- reduces the absorption. In the summer you might feel this tacky material on your skin. Take advantage of the free showers- it removes most of it. For classes make sure you bring something to clean your mask with (Windex or mask scrub)- if the water get too warm you get a film on the inside of your mask. Been there….

In my past experience the lake has its moments at certain times of the year for clarity. This time of year and early fall are great. If you arrive on Friday it is great. But if you show up and 200 people show up then no the vis is really going to be terrible. Hummm, done that to. Remember the clay bottom does not fall out of solution. Once you or a student makes a cloud it can hang for a very long period of time.

I have spent my fair share of time diving that pond for open water weekends. It is great and my hat off to Calvin for constantly doing capital improvements. – pool, hot tub, more junk underwater, and recently (last year) I saw my first crawfish (green but still kicking.)

Please take care with the Simulated cave; for many years cave divers have worked hard to preserve the ideas that there are direct and indirect hazards with cave diving. That “thing” he has in the water is simply an underwater rain culvert and could be dangerous. My concern is that people think that cave diving is that easy when it is not. Training is required and I hope that people do not think that a cave environment would be similar when it is nothing like it.- Sorry but it does not belong in the park with OW divers.

Windy point (Lake Travis, Austin) is still my favorite for fresh water lake diving- nothing like deep walls.
San Marcos River- for floating down the river and the fish life- plus the waterfalls.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Athens.

Now I just need a trip to Flower Gardens to relax…..Hummm

Dive Safe, Andrew

Thanks for the info... I will be going to the Flower Gardens Aug.1st-4th...

Yep Crazy Duck is right! Blond hair turns green! We went June 4th and I have to admit the best part was hanging out in the water just chatting. Pretty good diving.... when it's clear. Airfills are a bit expensive ( $10) but I guess that's the price you pay...literally. Camping should be good. have fun!

Debraw:
We went June 4th and I have to admit the best part was hanging out in the water just chatting. Pretty good diving.... when it's clear

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Even with my gear still on, it was fun... :D

Debraw:
Blond hair turns green!

Blondes should wet their hair first in the shower, then apply conditioner, prior to diving. Then, when ready to remove the green at the end of the trip, take a cheap box of baking soda, make a 50/50 shampoo & b.s. mix, wash the hair 2-3 times and most of the green will come out on the first try. Have fun!

And where is this Athens Scuba Park of which you speak? :) Do they have a website?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom