Atami photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well done. Looks good. Your lighting looks better than I get on mine. When I get close enough to a subject like this I seem to get a lot of burn in the top left and shadows in bottom right due to the place ment of the flash. You can see the light shift in this one above, but doesn't seem nearly as bad as what I usually get...

How did you account for the white balance? Just use the camera's underwater WBL? Or use a custom white balance? I bought a slate specifically to do this, but just not had the opportunity to sit on the bottom and play.

I didn't compensate for white balance.. this shot was taken at the end of an early morning dive and there was plenty of light... plus the flash at this distance should light the whole frame without suffering a blue shift.

Shifting WB's is next on my learn to do list!

I can see your point on the flash, especially on the hairs on the legs - you can see the top left ones are much better lit than the bottom right ones. I think backing off a bit would have allievated this effect somewhat.

Seems also the shell is over-exposed, not sure how I should compensate for this? I was stopped down to f8, so I guess forcing the ISO down a stop might have helped?

Sorry... you'd probably need to post that one on the photography board. My knowledge isn't good enough for that.

My next major investment is an HID, which should help light the subjects somewhat... but then have the additional challenge of a light in one hand, the camera in another and trying to maintain position to get a good shot!!

Think it'll take soem practice time up on land where it's easier to play around (and don't have a 40 minute bottom time limit!) to get things right. Then try to apply those skills underwater.

Maybe we can compare notes the next time we're out at Ose.

yikes...

I have an HID, I've tried to use it to light photo's with... but with very limited success.

Basically the light it provides is not even enough to help.... holding it at arms length from the subject still leaves a bright spot.. and obviously holding it further than arms length is not an easy task :)

You may get better results if you use a video reflector on your HID, or an LED light. I see some photographers doing that with good results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom