At One With the Mud Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Unlike some other folks I dashed out to the lake today while the after church crowd was at Luby’s Cafeteria and the fishermen were just packing up to head home before family’s got back from Luby’s Cafeteria to celebrate Mothers Day.

A Park Ranger stopped to chit-chat and we discussed the recent rise in the lake level, the spawning of the catfish and our shared optimism about Summer with a full lake for a change. Some teenagers came over while I geared up and wanted to know if I ever found any unexploded ordinance in the lake. ( No ) It was a testing ground for the military years ago and there is still some chance of finding a live round or two in the area. They wanted to know all about how much it cost to be a diver. I told them it was like buying a boat and you can spend a little or as much as you want, or way more then you ever would have believed.

Lake Pat Mayse
15 minutes away from Paris ~ Little or no entry fees and best of all...
The Diving Really Sucks Too :crafty:

It is pretty and quite fun to camp, swim, go boating and jet-ski on. It appears to have clear water but it’s a mud bottom lake. I think if there were rocks along the bottom then there could be a bit of drama to the dive. Of course mud is softer and not at all painful to plow into when the Vis. Is poor (unlike rocks) There are many rocks along the dam.
Of course there are fisherman and all that that implies.
I planned a East out ~ West back dive along the bottom towards the middle of the lake near the dam.
I was surprised to find the visibility at around 15 and once I reached the thermo. at 17 feet the visibility opened up to between 18 and 25
( INCHES ). :rofl3:
The green glow from the surface and Sunshine was detectable most of the time except in the deepest parts of the dive. To define anything a light was necessary below 10 feet.
61 degrees and constant below 30 feet deep and not a single fish the whole dive.
No fish … now that’s a first ! I bet they were there I just couldn’t see them.

34 feet deep was all I found along with a 1/8 in. nylon line running North /South in the middle of the lake. ( trot line probably)
I planned to surface, and did, at 45 minutes and was on my compass heading about 1/3 mile out in the middle of the lake and there was nobody anywhere in sight. Just Me.
It was a nice vantage point to grab a quick reference and head on back. I made this just a straight compass run at 20 feet. I didn’t see the bottom or anything for 27 minutes then saw the bottom and surfaced 10 fin kicks from my dive flag.

I know it sounds like a total crap dive and the vis. was as bad or worse then the Paris Underground Tunnels but then, I think every dive is Amazing !!

‘Time To Call My Mom” :wink:

...................:d !!!

Timeliner:
.....It was a nice vantage point to grab a quick reference and head on back. I made this just a straight compass run at 20 feet. I didn’t see the bottom or anything for 27 minutes then saw the bottom and surfaced 10 fin kicks from my dive flag.

:D Congrats on nailing that one!

Sounds like a nice, safe, dive (snore) compared to your dive at Broken Bow lake (see thread-"Did we find the bottom?"). Glad you made it back safe and sound Timeliner!

Frank, was the mud at the dam base as soft and deep as we found that chilly/wind winter day a few back out in the center of the lake....???

texdiveguy:
Frank, was the mud at the dam base as soft and deep as we found that chilly/wind winter day a few back out in the center of the lake....???

It was more solid and sandy

Just chiming in! Haven't had a chance to visit scubaboard in a while. Saw Frank's thread and I just HAD to stop to read it. Frank, when are you going to stop diving Pat Mayse?

richerso:
Just chiming in! Haven't had a chance to visit scubaboard in a while. Saw Frank's thread and I just HAD to stop to read it. Frank, when are you going to stop diving Pat Mayse?

Well if they ever actually do find Big Foot out there I may have to re-think things.
Until then I'll keep looking for that elusive spot of clear water and the Lost Indian Mounds.

Of course I'm up for a Lake Murray or Broken Bow expedition anytime too :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom