asymmetrical fin id question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7millimeter

Contributor
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm hoping that someone might be able identify these fins that I recall seeing once in my childhood.

They were black rubber full-foots that came to a point on one side. They were a little like the pictures I've seen of "Churchill" fins, but they were full-foot and I think the point was longer. I'm sure that they were full-foot, because I remember very clearly that they were starting to spilt at the back of the foot pocket. I don't remember the manufacturer, but I think I would recognize it when I see it.

I saw someone using them while diving in a certain southern New Hampshire lake. We ran over to a pair of divers that were emerging onto a small beach. We helped them carry their gear and these fins stayed in my memory all these years. It couldn't have been any later than 1984; it was probably a few years before that.

Many thanks!

I think they were made by Nemrod. I have seen then for sale on Ebay.

I just happen to have such fins, yes, the fins you describe may well have been Nemrod full foot fins. Mine are beginning to show a little age but I figure I can get a few more dives out of them. N

Here's a question I've wondered, since the subject came up:
On the Churchills et. al., do the longer sides go inboard, or outboard?

captain:
I think they were made by Nemrod.

Yes, Nemrod. Thanks all! Funny, I have some Nemrod stuff in my collection. It wasn't until I saw the picture that I realized that's where I probably had first seen the name. I'd love to get these fins, but $128? That's quite a price to pay for a little nostalgia. As I said, I first saw them when I was a kid and afterwards I often daydreamed about being a diver. I was always wearing these asymmetrical fins!

I often wondered where the points should go, too. On the big toe side seemed to make sense.

Okay, I'll attempt a definitive answer about which way to wear the Churchill fins, and it is the opposite of those above. I have a copy of the Churchill patent, and it shows the fins with the long side on the outside. Also, if you'll google "Owen Churchill" the first site that comes up is this one:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/sports/exhibit/removers/churchill/index.cfm#

If you'll enlarge the photo of the lifeguards, you'll see that they are wearing the fins with the long side on the outside. He mentions in the patent being easily able to walk in the fins, and that when together they simulate the shape of a fish's fin. Lifeguards can walk easily from a tower to the water while wearing them, and probably could run in them. Don't wear them with the long side inside, as this is not how they were designed, and makes them look really weird. The originals were marked "left" and "right," I believe (from memory of an old green pair my Dad had).

John

I always put the points out--have I been backwards all this time. I swear one of my Churchill set I used to have were lableed left and right and that resulted in long side outboard. N

Nemrod:
I always put the points out--have I been backwards all this time. I swear one of my Churchill set I used to have were lableed left and right and that resulted in long side outboard. N

Correct, long side out. My first fins were Churchills

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom