asthma-how likely am I to get a Doctors ok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drx6x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ive had asthma symptoms at different intervals throughout my life. I'm certainly back to having active asthma. I take advair 2 daily as prescribed and that keeps me from having symptoms as long as I'm not at my house. Because I have an allergy trigger from dogs and were I live currently has 6:(. I need a albuterol inhaler when I'm there. Which I take 1-3 times daily (at lest once for a preemptive for sleep). Ive never experienced any cold or dry air triggering an attack.
I just quit smoking so I'm hoping for some increased lung function. I am also increasing Cardiovascular exercise.

So now that you have some back ground my question is 2 part
What eles can I do to inprove my lung funtion and how likely will I be able to get an ok to dive. I know I will need to go to my doctor to get an exorcise test done.

You should be fine to [Edit 6M not 10M], which is deep enough to appreciate 70% or more of interesting things to see.
You could try the DSD course first.

[Edit - if you are certified scuba ---
Boat dives are deep first, shallow 2nd. However, just do shore dives, like that you can do basically extended snorkeling.
---]

Remember that in warm water, like in the Caribbeans, you lungs should clear up. Most asthma sufferers, like myself, are related to allergies.
I have a near nil allergy down South on the islands. I love it there.

Weird enough - quitting smoking will make your asthma worse - don't know your age, but it can be a good 5+ years before your lungs regenerate sufficiently [edit -- for you asthma to stabilize and diminish, instead of getting worse --]

I suggest you do a DSD first. See if you can stay 15+ mins in the deep end of a 5m deep pool w/o difficulty. Cold water is denser, if you find 5m pool is easy-peasy, you could/should be fine in 6m.

IOW, scuba isn't an intensive sport, so you should not have increased heart rate & breathing. However, diving from a boat in ocean swells, seeing the bottom from 50+ feet up, equalizing your ears, will be difficult.
Before you invest in a scuba course, the DSD will let you know your personal comfort level.
Remain calm...

FWIW, swimming inches away from tropical fish, that just think your an inoffensive turtle, is truly awesome.

Last edited:
Medical advice received on the internet will be worth every penny... go to the doctor, see what he/she has to say.

we have a link on our website to the medical form that PADI uses; take a look at the "Guidelines for Recreational Scuba Diver's Physical Examination" - that is what your doctor might want to look at as he evaluates your fitness to dive.

Good luck!

Forms and Documents | Blue Angel Scuba School

I would like to differ significantly with Mr. DeRail's statements.

First off, given the history you have offered, I think there is a significant chance that you will not be cleared to dive. But only pulmonary function testing will say for sure. In general, the guidelines for asthmatics on diving exclude people who are symptomatic on a daily basis, which you clearly are.

Secondly, stopping smoking will not make your asthma worse. It is true that, to see any significant IMPROVEMENT in COPD, you will need to be a non-smoker for months to years. But quitting smoking never makes anyone WORSE than they already are.

Third, the problem with asthma is air expansion and pulmonary injury as a result. Although many people think the problem with asthma is that you can't inhale, it's actually more of a problem with exhaling -- the small airways, which are narrowed, collapse as the patient attempts to empty them. If air is trapped in the air sacs behind those small passages, it has nowhere to go -- which is a problem on land, but a much bigger problem underwater, where the air is expanding as you ascend. The biggest proportional pressure changes occur in the top 30 feet, which is why there is no "safe" depth for an asthmatic to dive.

To the OP: You have already taken two important steps, in quitting smoking and starting to exercise. Another step, although it's not a happy one to suggest, is to remove the dog hair trigger. Asthma is an inflammatory disease, and inflammation isn't an instant occurrence, so recurring exposure to triggers is helping to keep the inflammation going.

Good luck with all of this. And absolutely get the PFT's before you sign up for a class.

You'll need pulmonary function testing. If you have normal pulmonary function both before and after dry-air exercise provocation, you're probably ok, but I do concur with Karibelle above in that you'll need to be seen personally by a physician trained in diving medicine to get a positive answer.

You should be fine to 10M, which is deep enough to appreciate 70% or more of interesting things to see.
Try the DSD course first.

Mark,
Can I ask where the 10 meter figure comes from?

Best regards,
DDM

Yeah I was worried about that. I know that a pulmonary function testing is needed and I need to see a doctor. Which is why I'm using this summer to give my lungs time of the smoke; also to exercise. Before I take the PADI cert thought my college in September. Getting ride of the dogs is not an option as there not mine. Till I finish up school I'm pretty much stuck with them.

My statements are based on first hand accounts of family members who were smokers, and never had asthma before, or slight, and have it bad now. As if cigarette smoke kept inflammation in check...

Anyhow, it took her nearly two years before she could reduce her usage of inhalers from a daily basis to a as-needed basis, based on her doctor's recommendation. She quit smoking 22 years ago at age 43, had severe asthma bouts for some two years - did not want to get rid of her dogs.

The past five years or so, her inhalers are for emergency use, or when she gets a bad cold.
It took at least 10 years or so to stabilize - due to age. The OP seems much younger!

Her asthma was severe after smoking - NIL while smoking. I'm not sure the OP's is as severe, if he's considering scuba. At the very least, DSD would provide some enjoyment at no risk.

Though I'd like to know how the dry air in the tanks would affect his breathing - would it help?

I'm an allergy sufferer w/asthma myself - yet my problems are always worse topside than UW. Plus, I'm giving some hope to the OP.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2012 at 02:49 PM ----------

Wow you guys go for max protection...

At 10m no deco - taking it slow - I just double-checked the number - should have been 6m not 10m for DSD. I corrected above post.

As doctors / professionals, you really think it would be too risky for the OP to try DSD in a swimming pool?
Without seeing a doctor first?

You'll need pulmonary function testing. If you have normal pulmonary function both before and after dry-air exercise provocation, you're probably ok, but I do concur with Karibelle above in that you'll need to be seen personally by a physician trained in diving medicine to get a positive answer.

Mark,
Can I ask where the 10 meter figure comes from?

Best regards,
DDM

As doctors / professionals, you really think it would be too risky for the OP to try DSD in a swimming pool?

As an instructor, yes. This person would have a "yes" on their medical form that they would complete prior to doing a DSD. if they have a yes and I don't have a doctor's note and if something goes wrong, my butt is in a sling. I know that's a lot of "ifs" but still... I'm not a doctor, and as such, am not qualified to tell someone "it'll be alright." And why would I want to?

At 10m no deco - taking it slow - I just double-checked the number - should have been 6m not 10m for DSD. I corrected above post.

Yes, I do think it's too risky. You asked before about dry air; dry air from SCUBA tanks can actually aggravate asthma in some cases rather than helping it. With as severe as the OP's asthma seems to be, he definitely needs to be seen and tested before he tries breathing compressed air under water.

Best,
DDM

Good point Kari...thanks for your input. I thought the DSD rules would be less strict.

I hesitated before putting a yes on my form...as my last "attack" was over 10 years ago. My biggest problem is sinus-ear related, making equalization & the opposite problem - reverse block - a more sensitive issue for me.

I take longer going down, remaining calm, and go back up very slowly. On boat ops I tend to go in first, and last one in.

So myself I'm nowhere near the OP - perhaps the OP should wait X years, when taking medication on a regular basis is no longer required. I came from a family of chain smokers - I had asthma when I left home - no more 2nd hand smoke - and the various anti-smoking laws came into effect like in bars & restaurants.

Then some 10 years later, in my early thirties, it disappeared, except during a severe sinus infection / lung infection after battling a nasty virus for a few days.

How about something simple - with springtime upon us - the OP sleeps with the window of his room partially opened? And be quite strict into not having any dog in his room.

As an instructor, yes. This person would have a "yes" on their medical form that they would complete prior to doing a DSD. if they have a yes and I don't have a doctor's note and if something goes wrong, my butt is in a sling. I know that's a lot of "ifs" but still... I'm not a doctor, and as such, am not qualified to tell someone "it'll be alright." And why would I want to?

Back
Top Bottom