Assistance with a wet suit? Getting different information from Dive Shops!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,

I am having some serious issues getting information from dive shops in the Toronto area. I am looking at buying my own wet suit, fins, snorkel, mask and every dive shop keeps telling me something different.

Funny... I called one dive shop about a wet suit and it was $179 for an Akona and then I called another and he was selling a BARE for $130, and he says "well you get what you pay for!" I am like the AKONA one was more expensive.

Anyhow I cannot be more confused!

I am posting in this section for assistance with the WET SUIT... I guess the FINS, SNORKEL AND MASK question belongs in another forum. Can anyone please give me some feedback on how to determine what is good and long lasting? (yes i know it is kind of a general question and probably can't 'TRULY' be answered) Any feedback would help.

Price is one of my least concerns... I would probably rate quality first comfort second... argh maybe not... i don't know about 50/50 i suppose!

** also another question, is this something I can buy online if i find a cheaper price for what I am looking for? Or should these really be tried on at a dive shop to ensure a proper fit?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on any piece of gear or really a true enthusiast of one brand to another. While I'm certain that some gear is superior to another brand, this industry has enough real-life testers that a company making slop will probably be out of business soon enough from their reputation alone.

The key to any piece of gear is how it will work for you. Go to the shops and try everything they have on. Take it to a pool and test it. Then, buy what you're comfortable with. Price doesn't necessarily mean a piece of gear is right for your style or your comfort.

A wet suit I find hard to fit. So unless you're of the average physique, you're best off to fit the suit in a dive shop. There is truth that you get a better suit if you pay more but it's also true that different shops charge more or less for the same suit.

I assume you're buying a 3mm for tropical diving?

Comfort in the water is directly related to exposure protection. Comfort in exposure protection is more about FIT and less about features, etc.
Brand prices vary on quality and features. But a great priced wetsuit that does NOT fit you comfortably is an expensive mistake. Each brand is cut differently, sizes vary. The only way you know you will be comfortable is to try them on. Few people are true "stock" sizes. I recommend making the rounds and trying on the various brands available in your area before making the decision.

Comfort in the water is directly related to exposure protection. Comfort in exposure protection is more about FIT and less about features, etc.
Brand prices vary on quality and features. But a great priced wetsuit that does NOT fit you comfortably is an expensive mistake. Each brand is cut differently, sizes vary. The only way you know you will be comfortable is to try them on. Few people are true "stock" sizes. I recommend making the rounds and trying on the various brands available in your area before making the decision.

Agree completely! ^^^^

However, I will say my family has five Bare suits that are up to 10 years old, and they are still in quite good shape. I have a Pinnacle which was falling apart in a year, and fit poorly (bought it on-line). We also have a couple of Hendersons that are quite nice.

Hi Guys,

I am having some serious issues getting information from dive shops in the Toronto area. I am looking at buying my own wet suit, fins, snorkel, mask and every dive shop keeps telling me something different.

Funny... I called one dive shop about a wet suit and it was $179 for an Akona and then I called another and he was selling a BARE for $130, and he says "well you get what you pay for!" I am like the AKONA one was more expensive.

Anyhow I cannot be more confused!

I am posting in this section for assistance with the WET SUIT... I guess the FINS, SNORKEL AND MASK question belongs in another forum. Can anyone please give me some feedback on how to determine what is good and long lasting? (yes i know it is kind of a general question and probably can't 'TRULY' be answered) Any feedback would help.

Price is one of my least concerns... I would probably rate quality first comfort second... argh maybe not... i don't know about 50/50 i suppose!

** also another question, is this something I can buy online if i find a cheaper price for what I am looking for? Or should these really be tried on at a dive shop to ensure a proper fit?

Thanks!
very often a more expensive suit is constructed differently from cheap ones.Check seams..are they glued and lock stitched-good-or not glued (can see light thru holes made by stitching,usually a flat stitch-bad!
check actual quality of neoprene.Does it have a good amount of stretch - good- or is stiff-bad!...Fit must be right onto work properly,no matter how inexpensive or expensive the suit is..Why not purchase suit at the facility that is teaching you??They will spend the time with you to ensure proper fit and comfort to match your needs.It is also part of their job to teach you benefits/features of gear.You paid them to teach you to dive and to educate you not only how to dive but what to look for to dive with for the type of diving you plan on doing.This is part of their job that you paid for.

The best wetsuit is the one that fits really well and provides enough exposure protection for the type of water in which you're going to be diving. I wouldn't worry too much about Brand A versus Brand B. Look instead for fit and quality of construction, as oly5050user noted. A lot of the price differential you'll see is due to the stretchiness of the neoprene. Stretchier is easier to get into, and more expensive. Virtually all of the manufactures have a range of offerings, from value to high-end.

I would start with your local dive store, so you can check fit. That having been said, I bought virtally all my gear from my LDS, but actually bought my wetsuit online because I didn't like the selection at the LDS. Worked out well for me, so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out if you can't find what you want locally. I would think Toronto would have a lot of dive store options.
James

As someone who lives in the Toronto area and buys equipment there I have a few tips for you:
1. Aqua systems / Mississauga Diving Services / Brampton Scuba are not the shops you want to go to for equipment. All the shops offer great service, and Aqua systems fills cheap nitrox, and the guy behind the counter, Rick, is the best. However the owner of the shops will nickel and dime you.
2. LTC scuba in Concord Ontario is the best place to go for equipment. Leonard only opens his shop twice a week, but he offers the best prices and has been good to us.
3. Aquarius is good for fills, the sales guys don't know what is going on half the time.
4. Scuba 2000 will rip you off. (they quoted me $1400 for a MK.17 + A700, Leonard quoted me $600-I think)
5. If you want to dive up here don't get a wetsuit, buy a drysuit.
6. Consider joining the Mississauga Scuba club. I am a member and it is great.

Thanks a lot guys... going to take some notes and go into my LDS and see what they have.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom