Assault at 60 feet below in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
I take Andy's word that this incident has been confirmed so I would like to publicly apologize to fonfon 5. Hope you are mending and things are going well in theraphy.

On the other hand, your original response is just indicative of how divers consider such an event abborational . It took me by surprise that the scuba world is not immune to such creeps. It's a sad shock.

I am shocked at this, i never would have thought sexual assault was associated with diving at all. I applaud you for speaking out about this, as other people have said, it may help others who do not have the courage to speak about similar experiences. I hope you recover from this ordeal and dont let it spoil diving for you in the future. I also hope this horrible person gets whats coming to them, to put it nicely. Once again, I hope you feel better soon xxxxxxx

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I hope that in time you can put this nightmare behind you and have peace of mind again.

For anything like this to happen in a student teacher situation is unacceptable, but in a potentially hazardous situation it beggars belief.

I hope this has not put you off diving and that you can find an instructor who can put you at ease for future diving

I am sorry this incident happened. Sad to see someone being victimized. Bad to see an "instructor" commit shameful behavior.

I have heard of instructors starting relationships with students...that is, being an instructor may end up being a good place to meet prospective relationships...then again, we are talking relationships and flirting...not full on sexual assault.

I have dived in Mexico...and sometimes, one has to wonder about the level of professionalism and dedication...then again, this kind of thing could happen anywhere.

How does one sexually assault someone underwater at 60 feet with gear all over?

Weird.

oceancrest67:
How does one sexually assault someone underwater at 60 feet with gear all over?

by aggressive touching, i would imagine. sexual crimes are usually not about
sex, but about power. it's someone demonstrating to someone else "i can do
this to you whether you want it or not"

add to that the unfamiliar environment (under water) and the authority position
of the instructor, and you have a very scary situation going on.

H2Andy:
by aggressive touching, i would imagine. sexual crimes are usually not about
sex, but about power. it's someone demonstrating to someone else "i can do
this to you whether you want it or not"

add to that the unfamiliar environment (under water) and the authority position
of the instructor, and you have a very scary situation going on.

I should have asked the next question in my earlier reply: was this person the only student in a group or was this a one on one with the "instructor"? Really foolhardy behavior by the instructor...what other details are there...does the instructor have a reputation? Did any other students take note of this instructor's behavior?

Just curios about the circumstances.

oceancrest67:
Just curios about the circumstances.

all i can tell you is that PADI thought this was serious enough to expell the guy.

maybe fonfon will be able to share more of her story with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom