Ask your instructor to show you how to use the DSMB!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe PADI for one has a requirement that instructors/DMs that have been inactive for several years have to do something to get back at it (I THINK something more than just re-start paying membership--I believe you have to at least do something on their website that includes current procedures/changes, etc.). For an instructor who teaches daily or weekly every year/season, an official refresher on how to do that would make less sense.

Yes. If you have been out of instruction for a period of time, and it isn't long, you can't just pay pack fees and go at it again.

I do believe PADI for one has a requirement that instructors/DMs that have been inactive for several years have to do something to get back at it (I THINK something more than just re-start paying membership--I believe you have to at least do something on their website that includes current procedures/changes, etc.). For an instructor who teaches daily or weekly every year/season, an official refresher on how to do that would make less sense.
There are a couple what if's.
If you become inactive but still pay membership dues, placing yourself in an "Inactive" status, just update ($$) your membership to "Active" status and you're good to go. The thought is you still received the Undersea Journal, had access to the Pro site and should be up to date on current standards.
This was my experience with a couple of DM's and one instructor I was working with.

If you let your membership lapse, failing to pay yearly dues, depending on the time span it could be as easy as spending time reviewing the skill circuit with an Instructor all the way to redoing the course, DM or IDC & IE.

The PADI AOW crew pac includes a DSMB/SMB. IMO It is completely unsuitable it does not include a reel or line. It does not seem to be reinforced at the attachment area. it seems as something to be deployed once you reach the surface. I am worried that it gives It gives new students a false set of confidence. We teach students with our SMB's that have brass clips, multiple fill options and overpressure relief valves. I try and sell the upgrade but to no avail. Example, Husband might buy it but wont coff up the bucks for wife? They already have two cheap ones.
-dp

Crew Packs are put together and ordered by the Shop/Instructor. The fact your group includes the PADI-branded SMB has nothing to do with PADI.

The PADI-branded SMB that can be packaged with a Crew Pack is not advertised or sold as a DSMB. It is advertised as an SMB and is not designed to be used as a DSMB.

There are a couple what if's.
If you become inactive but still pay membership dues, placing yourself in an "Inactive" status, just update ($$) your membership to "Active" status and you're good to go. The thought is you still received the Undersea Journal, had access to the Pro site and should be up to date on current standards.
This was my experience with a couple of DM's and one instructor I was working with.

If you let your membership lapse, failing to pay yearly dues, depending on the time span it could be as easy as spending time reviewing the skill circuit with an Instructor all the way to redoing the course, DM or IDC & IE.

I could contact PADI, but you may know quicker: If you decide not to work for a while (a year or 2, etc.), what is the "inactive" membership fee for a DM--where you can still receive the Journal and have access to the pro site (vs. the full normal membership I pay yearly)? ei. Ballpark figure (US or Canada)--is it like 1/2 as much $?

I could contact PADI, but you may know quicker: If you decide not to work for a while (a year or 2, etc.), what is the "inactive" membership fee for a DM--where you can still receive the Journal and have access to the pro site (vs. the full normal membership I pay yearly)? ei. Ballpark figure (US or Canada)--is it like 1/2 as much $?
Best to call. My son is a DM in inactive status and if I recall there was little or no discounted cost, not half anyway.

While the skill requirement has recently become part of the curriculum of PADI OW, the vast majority of the current OW divers, IMO, were not taught this skill as they were trained prior to the revision of the curriculum. Even today I have had a number of instructors point out to me that this is a ‘recommendation’ not a ‘requirement’ (I honestly do not know if this is true statement or not). This is not to say they have not picked up the skill subsequently either on their own or through formal instruction.

I normally dive Cozumel and the majority divers I see do carry one but I only see a small minority practice deploying them from depth and I can't remember seeing one deployed from the surface. On the flip side I have also seen divers who were inexperienced with them attempt to deploy them from depth and become a danger to themselves and others. It is an amazingly simple looking task that can quickly go wrong. The key as I see it is to practice in benign conditions and continue practicing in low current to calm conditions so that when you really need it, it becomes second nature and you don't try for an unscheduled trip to Cuba. Getting scattered and alone in a blowing current at the north end of Barracuda is not the best place to learn how to deploy a DSMB.

On the flip side I think many don’t practice deploying them as a courtesy to avoid clutter and task loading to the DM and boat at the pickup. Simply checking with the DM prior to the dive and getting an OK would be the correct thing to do if you intend to practice deployment. I think it would be a rare DM that told you no and this way they could be aware of your intentions ahead of time and if necessary be prepared to assist you, if needed.

If I am at a dive location like Cozumel, I will carry a DSMB in case of the unlikely but possible event that I will need to surface away from the group. When the group is preparing to surface, the DM will send up a DSMB, and there is certainly no reason for more than one at that point. I have never had to use one under those circumstances.

IF I am diving in current in a place that has a mooring line, there is a possibility that I could end up surfacing off the line. I will be sure to carry a DSMB for that unlikely event. I have never had to use one under those circumstances.

If I am drift diving where a dive flag is required, I will carry one in the unlikely event that I might become separated from the group. I have never had to use one under those circumstances.

If I am doing drifting deco below a surface float, I will carry a DSMB in case of the unlikely event that I will surface away from the float. I have never had to use one under those circumstances.

I carry a DSMB on by far most of my dives. It is not often that I go into the water planning to use it, though.

Even today I have had a number of instructors point out to me that this is a ‘recommendation’ not a ‘requirement’ (I honestly do not know if this is true statement or not). This is not to say they have not picked up the skill subsequently either on their own or through formal instruction.
It's a requirement, easily found by reading their Instructor Manual or following the slates.

I normally dive Cozumel and the majority divers I see do carry one but I only see a small minority practice deploying them from depth and I can't remember seeing one deployed from the surface. On the flip side I have also seen divers who were inexperienced with them attempt to deploy them from depth and become a danger to themselves and others. It is an amazingly simple looking task that can quickly go wrong. The key as I see it is to practice in benign conditions and continue practicing in low current to calm conditions so that when you really need it, it becomes second nature and you don't try for an unscheduled trip to Cuba. Getting scattered and alone in a blowing current at the north end of Barracuda is not the best place to learn how to deploy a DSMB.

When I lead a group trip to locations that have drift diving, such as Cozumel, we typically have a range in levels of divers. Prior to the trip I'll offer a pool session where DSMB practice is the focus. Since I live in an area where they are seldom, if ever, necessary the session is quite popular.
I'll also recommend they practice again during a shore dive at the resort.

What I typically see are those divers not comfortable deploying all migrating to the DM's line, it gets a bit crowded sometimes. I'll let the DM and group know that I will also send one up, since I'm usually in the back anyway, herding people along, they can use mine too. This also gives the boat an idea of where the entire group is since the operator I use doesn't send the entire group up when someone reaches ___ PSI.

As a newly-certified PADI OW and AOW (last year) diver, I would agree with the discussion that DSMB deployment may be a bit much for basic OW training unless they add a dive or two to the curriculum, but I think AOW would be a good place to learn and practice it. I did my AOW on a week-long trip to Cozumel last September, and all the DMs deployed markers when they were going up, but when a buddy pair had to go up early because one of them was low on air, they didn't necessarily send the rest of the group with them, so the DSMB may have been well away from the first pair by the time the rest came up. They did recommend that a pair going up early use a safety sausage on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom