Asia trips and coronavirus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important thing is whether you can actually get to your destination and are allowed in.

I am living in Japan now, and from what I’ve seen the situation is probably already worse in the US and is trending towards getting worse. So you’re not going to be in anymore risk outside of the states than inside. So you can keep comfort in that at least. The problem is the US just isn’t test in people. I guess the number of infected is closer to 2000 than 200. Number of deaths doesn’t lie.

it wasn’t on my radar until taking to one of the resort owners today, but also looking to just defer to April 2021
Our travel agent told us we should be ok with our Travelex insurance if flights cancelled. I told him flight cancellation was not included in our policy. He responded that it would come under trip interruption, but I should confirm that with the insurance company. He also said Misool was pushing him for the final payment. (We had 9 nites there) and final payment was $8600. So, we called travelex and were put on hold. They said the best way to speak with them was online and we should have an answer in 4 days. My husband and I are both just retired healthcare field. We are healthy but 60. It just seemed like it was better to loose our initial deposits (around $3500) than to push through this and hope everything falls into place. It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

The most important thing is whether you can actually get to your destination and are allowed in.

I am living in Japan now, and from what I’ve seen the situation is probably already worse in the US and is trending towards getting worse. So you’re not going to be in anymore risk outside of the states than inside. So you can keep comfort in that at least. The problem is the US just isn’t test in people. I guess the number of infected is closer to 2000 than 200. Number of deaths doesn’t lie.

I’ve heard from people on the ground in Seattle that people with obvious and overt Covid19 symptoms were being sent home from hospital because they were “young enough to battle the disease” and they didn’t have any test kits to test them anyway.

Our travel agent told us we should be ok with our Travelex insurance if flights cancelled. I told him flight cancellation was not included in our policy. He responded that it would come under trip interruption, but I should confirm that with the insurance company. He also said Misool was pushing him for the final payment. (We had 9 nites there) and final payment was $8600. So, we called travelex and were put on hold. They said the best way to speak with them was online and we should have an answer in 4 days. My husband and I are both just retired healthcare field. We are healthy but 60. It just seemed like it was better to loose our initial deposits (around $3500) than to push through this and hope everything falls into place. It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

My personal opinion: I would take the $3500 loss and stay home. Too many uncertainties with travel restrictions, quarantine rules, where the next hotspot is, everything is changing by the day. Our group of 7 just cancelled our trip to Honolulu. It was all paid for and we’re not getting any money back but we are all comfortable with our decision and have peace of mind.

I know this is controversial but you have to think of yourself and your own comfort level.

I’d be more worried about being at the destination and not being allowed to go back home.

i would have no issues actually getting it. In a country with first world care. yes it’s likely mild but what if it’s not.

and TBH the way we are treating this in the US I think people might actually be safer in a country like Singapore or even South Korea where they have been actively testing and tracing this thing. We are just massively f’ing this up here IMO

TBH I would not trust a travel agent’s interpretation of policy coverage and language (I do this for a living). It’s good that you are asking the company and I know they’re slammed but honestly 4 day wait is inexcusable. If it’s covered it’s covered under the terms of the policy. But at least as with travel guard, we are covered for both trip interruption and cancellation but only for covered losses (it’s the same list of losses). Canceling flight routes for economical reasons (or health reasons) is not among them. I’d be very surprised if your terms were much different. But perhaps they are.

And not to be cynical but your agent may be looking out for their best $ interest as I am sure they are all getting slammed.

My personal opinion: I would take the $3500 loss and stay home. Too many uncertainties with travel restrictions, quarantine rules, where the next hotspot is, everything is changing by the day. Our group of 7 just cancelled our trip to Honolulu. It was all paid for and we’re not getting any money back but we are all comfortable with our decision and have peace of mind.

I am actually thinking of flying to Maui for a week instead of our bigger trip. At least I’d still be within US borders and have good health care available

I am actually thinking of flying to Maui for a week instead of our bigger trip. At least I’d still be within US borders and have good health care available

We’re not American so flying to Honolulu would be flying to a foreign country for us, with all the extra issues that would entail.

We’re not American so flying to Honolulu would be flying to a foreign country for us, with all the extra issues that would entail.

Sorry, sometimes I assume too much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom