Asia trips and coronavirus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't get your money back or the trip moved I'd still go. Awesome trip though when at Manado, you must also dive Bangka, maybe even exclusively dive Bangka.

Be hyper aware during travel, keep your area sanitized, don't touch anything that you don't have to. Don't touch your face. Keep your hands washed properly. Make sure that you clean and sanitize your area on the plane. Don't touch the pocket in the seat on front of you. Don't touch anything in that pocket.

Looking worse and worse here...

Called yesterday and learned that (my wife) did not secure cancel for any reason coverage. (grrr)

Trip was $7K for land based. We are within the window to get 50% back from one resort and 75% from the other, or about $4600

Or we wait and see what develops. United has already slashed our SFO-SIN route by half, and is ready to announce more. Silk Air has a slew of SIN - Indo cancellations, Manado not currently on the list, but it could come at any time, and if so we get $0.

If we do not suffer a covered loss -- which does not include flight cancellations or border closings -- then we either go or not. If we go, it's going to be stressful.

Not how I wanted to see my first Indo trip develop.

Called yesterday and learned that (my wife) did not secure cancel for any reason coverage. (grrr)

Trip was $7K for land based. We are within the window to get 50% back from one resort and 75% from the other, or about $4600

Or we wait and see what develops. United has already slashed our SFO-SIN route by half, and is ready to announce more. Silk Air has a slew of SIN - Indo cancellations, Manado not currently on the list, but it could come at any time, and if so we get $0.

If we do not suffer a covered loss -- which does not include flight cancellations or border closings -- then we either go or not. If we go, it's going to be stressful.

Quite understandable.

An upside is if there are flights, they probably won't be full.

A friend of mine went to Europe on Wednesday and had all 3 seats to herself. No one coughed on her flight either.

Actually, since they've slashed and consolidated the SFO- SIN route, the plane is 100% full in coach, about 50% in premium

If we do not suffer a covered loss -- which does no

t include flight cancellations or border closings -- then we either go or not. If we go, it's going to be stressful.

Are you saying that if flights are cancelled, your insurance does not cover the trip?

Are you saying that if flights are cancelled, your insurance does not cover the trip?

Correct
Well, ETA flight cancellation is covered if due to "financial default" of the airline or due to "mechanical/equipment failure"

Covered events under my policy for cancellation / interruption:

(a) Sickness, Injury or death of an Insured, Family Member, Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Host at Destination;
(b) Financial Default of an airline, Cruise line or tour operator
(c) Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of travel;
(d) Strike causing complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or Destination;
(e) the Insured’s Primary Residence being made Uninhabitable or Inaccessible by Natural Disaster, vandalism or burglary;
(f) the Insured’s Destination being made Uninhabitable or Inaccessible by flood, tornado, earthquake, volcanic eruption, fire, wildfire or blizzard that is due to natural causes;
(g) the Insured or Traveling Companion is hijacked, quarantined, subpoenaed or required to serve on a jury;
(h) the Insured or Traveling Companion is called to active military service or military leave is revoked or reassigned;
(i) a Terrorist Incident in a City listed on the Insured’s itinerary within 30 days of the Insured’s scheduled arrival;
(j) the Insured or Traveling Companion is involuntarily terminated or laid off through no fault of his or her own
(k) the Insured and/or Traveling Companion is directly involved in or delayed due to an traffic accident, substantiated by a police report, while en route to the Insured’s Destination;
(l) a named hurricane causing cancellation or interruption of travel to the Insured’s Destination that is Inaccessible or Uninhabitable.
(m) the Insured or a Traveling Companion being the victim of a Felonious Assault within 10 days prior to the Departure Date.
(n) mechanical/equipment failure of a Common Carrier that occurs on a scheduled Trip and causes complete cessation of the Insured’s travel and results in a Loss of 50% of the Insured’s Trip length;
(o) the Insured or Traveling Companion is required to work during his/her scheduled Trip.
(p) the Insured or Traveling Companion is directly involved in a merger, acquisition, government required product recall or bankruptcy proceedings and must be currently employed by the company that is involved in said event; or (q) the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s company is deemed to be unsuitable for business due to burglary or Natural Disaster and the Insured or Traveling Companion is directly involved as a Key Employee of the disaster recovery team

You are right and I did not know that. I just assumed if you cannot get there, insurance would cover. Thank you for that information. KLM just posted on their website that you can change any flights (due to corona virus concern) until May 31, 2020 without fee or penalty. I think we will try to move until 2021. Thank you again for pointing that out.

You are right and I did not know that. I just assumed if you cannot get there, insurance would cover. Thank you for that information. KLM just posted on their website that you can change any flights (due to corona virus concern) until May 31, 2020 without fee or penalty. I think we will try to move until 2021. Thank you again for pointing that out.

it wasn’t on my radar until taking to one of the resort owners today, but also looking to just defer to April 2021

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom