Ascent using alternate air on inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carini

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else out there has made an ascent using alt on inflator hose. I had something happen last summer and it really scared me. I was diving in the local quarry of which i have spent alot of time. I made my descent to 60feet. Once there i developed a free flow in my seconday. So i switched to alt. But since i had never done this before my ascent was to fast. I kept grabbing for my inflator hose to dump air :11: . Well it was not there. It was in my mouth. I was wondering if this has ever happend to anyone. And to let those who have alt on inflator hose to practice it before this happens. I was lucky. Did not have any problems.

Did you mean you were using your Octupus or the actual hose connected to you bcd.
If you had a free flow on your second stage why didn't you either slowly ascend with the free flow regulator or use your octupus or ask your buddy to help you and buddy breathe?

carini:
I kept grabbing for my inflator hose to dump air :11: . Well it was not there. It was in my mouth.

Thats one of the reasons why its good to have a upper right dump on your BC if you are ascending vertically in the water column with a air2 type set up. I quit using the air2 type systems long ago in favor of a long hose with bungeed secondary reg.

molksmith:
Did you mean you were using your Octupus or the actual hose connected to you bcd....
It appears he is using an Air2 where his octopus is located on the end of his inflator hose. Makes for a more streamlined diver as you have one less hose. In his situation, if his buddy has an OOA, he donates his primary out of his mouth to his buddy and then switches to the alternate regulator located on the end of his BC inflator hose.

Differnet views on this set-up. As he discovered, when you are using the Air2, your inflator hose is in your mouth making things a bit more interesting to control.

my octo is on my inflator hose. my buddy did what he should have. i made the mistake of making a ascent with out his help and was off to fast for him to catch me he made a slow ascent. I know my mistakes. I should have used my seconday and stayed with my buddy. I learned form this mistake and just want more people to be awere of an ascent using octo on inflator hose.

Nothin wrong with being a girl. Kinda like 'em myself.

Air2 has been a subject of discussion numerous times on this board, and every time the conclusion is that the LDS who sold you that setup is trying to kill you.........

ShakaZulu:
Air2 has been a subject of discussion numerous times on this board, and every time the conclusion is that the LDS who sold you that setup is trying to kill you.........

LDS trying to kill their customers? Weird business model. How do you sell them more trips and classes if you kill them? :wink:

Like all emergency procedures, ascending while breathing the Air2 should be practiced. It is not difficult. . . unless you wait until you are panicked and possibly trying to control a panicked buddy the first time you do it!

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom