Ascent Line Marking & Knotting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How do you guys mark the lines you use for ascending under your sausage, if at all?

I couldn't find much about that here, so I came up with something last week. I wanted something to give me a visual idea of where I was on the line, but also wanted something tactical, something I could feel that would give me at least some idea of where I was if I were having to ascend on the line blind or maskless or in some other similar situation.

The method I came up with was knots every at evey ten-foot mark, basically one knot per 10' placed an inch apart (more like 1.2" actually) as you ascend up the line, leading to two knots just about a quarter-inch apart right at the mark, just big enough for a lightly-gloved finger to rest between.

Using high-gloss line to start with, I used a permanent black marker to make a 1/2" wide black band on the line immediately above each knot.

So, if I can see the line, I can simply count the bands. If I'm feeling my way along, I can count from the first knot I encounter to the double-knot.

I also put a unique series of five close knots and five much narrower bands at the 15' mark, for safety stop purposes. That point looks and feels very different from all the others.

For example, here's a snapshot of my line and spreel at the 50' mark - I know it's kind of hard to see, but the single knots are just to the left of each black band, with the double knots just left of the rightmost band (which marks the actual 50' point as you ascend):

IMGP6036_web.jpg

I tried it out this past weekend, and it seems to work pretty well. Obviously the tactical knots wouldn't work with heavy gloves, but otherwise it seems handy and the knots don't seem to affect the reel in any negative way.

Suggestions? What other line marking or knotting techniques do you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom