Ascending on a line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anchor Line?

I believe he was suggesting that when diving in current so heavy that it's unlikely everyone will be able to return to the line, the plan should be to live boat it.

On the west coast they are hardly seen being carried by divers.
Don't know to what "west coast" you refer.

My experience in Monterrey, Channel Islands and Puget Sound, especially Puget Sound, is that SMBs are very common. But maybe we aren't on the "west coast" of where ever you are.

But Peter, we ARE a member of a significant scuba minority . . . I don't know that SMBs are common across the board.

Don't know to what "west coast" you refer.

My experience in Monterrey, Channel Islands and Puget Sound, especially Puget Sound, is that SMBs are very common. But maybe we aren't on the "west coast" of where ever you are.

South of Montery, California SMBs are not very common.

You are supporting my statement that the use of SMBs is some what regional. i.e the north west U.S., portions of the north east coast, cave/tech/DIR groups in Florida, etc.

A diver should be able to free ascend without a visual reference even at open water level. The CERTAINLY should be able to ascend without holding a line to even gain the qualification.
Not many places have fixed ascent lines. Its far more common to ascend next to a wall or reef or in some places SMB.

If you expect to drift, have boat traffic or similar always use a DSMB. Otherwise, local conditions apply..

Thanks I thought I was the only one. I mostly rock hop and though I have a flag/float I've never surfaced "on" the line mostly I'm handling the line and adjusting my trim. Ascents should indeed be able to be done "free". I can't imagine a diver not being able to do it.

No--I basically only ascend on a line when one is present.....

I believe he was suggesting that when diving in current so heavy that it's unlikely everyone will be able to return to the line, the plan should be to live boat it.

Use a wreck reel to find the anchor line. I would not want to be a mile away from the boat when i surface. My priory in bad currents or bad vizs, is to always know how to find that anchor line.

Rocks are buoyant. It's just that they choose to be buoyant on the bottom or the top of something.

So is steel unless it happens to be a ship.

Whilst the ship remains a ship and not a wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom