Ascending in a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver:
Of course, the whole point of the damn thread is to NOT become too buoyant, so you SHOULD vent gas as you ascend.
Geez, Reading Comprehension.
Another waste of time thread trying to help somebody.
Sounds like somebody needs to get off the computer and go diving for a change. :D

Come on over Phil and I'll teach you how to do controlled horizontal supine ascents. :D

Nick, here's what works for me, but regardless of what you do-the more experience/practice you have with your suit, the more comfortable you'll be. Usually when starting back to the surface from my dive, I occasionally have to "burp" my suit by turning to my side and/or raise my relief valve. Once at the surface, I close my valve, and inflate my BC to swim to the boat/shore.
(suit(s)-Viking Pro 1000, DUI CF-200, Diving Concepts Pinnacle 400, and...Harveys Aquacapsule-yuck, relief valve was on the chest!)
Happy Diving!

Poog

Uncle Pug:
Come on over Phil and I'll teach you how to do controlled horizontal supine ascents. :D

I can already handle those fine. You might, however discuss the finer points of DS control with your cohorts :wink:

Not diving, playing with new car :O

Snowbear:
Venting a drysuit on ascent is the same whether you're using it or the BC for buoyancy.
MechPhil:
No, its not. Burping a suit that is not used for buoyancy should not affect your buoyancy as you should have very little air in it.
MechDiver:
Snowbear:
Yes it is - try ascending from 60' and don't burb out any of that gas you put in the suit to relieve the squeeze and loft the undies. As the gas expands, you WILL becaome more positively buoyant.
Of course, the whole point of the damn thread is to NOT become too buoyant, so you SHOULD vent gas as you ascend.
Hey Mech/Phil - If you re-read my response as a response to what you said, you will see that was my point exactly. To spell it out for you, My point was that Yes, burping the expanding gas out of your drysuit WILL affect your buoyancy whether you are using the suit or the BC for buoyancy. :rolleyes:

Snowbear:
Hey Mech/Phil - If you re-read my response as a response to what you said, you will see that was my point exactly. To spell it out for you, My point was that Yes, burping the expanding gas out of your drysuit WILL affect your buoyancy whether you are using the suit or the BC for buoyancy. :rolleyes:

Yea, whatever. I really really really no longer care

Nick Stephens:
Hi Guys,
This question goes out to people who use their Dry Suit for buoyancy.
On ascending from a dive, PADI say swim up with your shoulder dump raised to vent the air. I find when I do this air is released too quick and I end up being to heavy to ascend comfortably.
Does anyone do this, or do you just swim up and vent occasionally to control the ascent? Maybe I'm not doing it right?

As has already been mentioned, if you "end up being to [sic] heavy to ascend comfortably" then it does indeed sound as though you are overweighted. The key to this is to make sure that your suit is well burped BEFORE you get in the water: on land, get down into a squat, crunch your knees to your chest, and open your neck seal to let the suit purge. Now get all your gear on & get in the water to do that weighting check. If you are diving AL, make sure to add 3-5# for a positively bouyant tank.

Just like when you use a BC for buoyancy, it's key to remember to WAIT for the reaction to your action BEFORE you add air to or vent your suit. To help you do this, experiment with how open you leave your exhaust valve for the best results. If it's a bicep dump, then optimally you should only have to raise it to about ear level for it to start venting.

And yes, with buoyancy control via BC, you will need to keep venting as your ascend.

Please people, let's get off the BC vs suit rant, and just answer the question that was asked, ok? :soapbox:

Back
Top Bottom