As a consumer, which do you prefer?

As a consumer, which price option would you rather see:

• tour price + fuel levy listed separately

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • tour price, no extras

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, no one wants to pay more, but with fuel and other costs rising, I am hearing a lot of tourism providers (dive boats, bus companies, adventure safaris etc) being forced to consider some changes in their pricing. Some do it by keeping their current prices but adding a fuel levy and others simply change their prices without detailing the fuel levy.

So, I'm curious - which do you, as a consumer, prefer to see? I keep going back and forth, but I think I end up just wanting to know the total cost of the tour and not having to think about extras or what each charge is for. It doesn't matter to me WHY the cost is what it is, I assume the operator charges what he/she feels needs to be charged to cover costs appropriately.

Anyway, it's a simple poll :wink:

A fuel surcharge is an implicit statement that the high cost of fuel is temporary, and that the surcharge will be removed when crude gets cheaper. As a trader, I say, "maybe". I am short a few crude in the personal account. Objectively, however, there is no compelling reason to believe it will not go higher, rather than lower. I say just give us the price.

The problem with the "fuel surcharge" is in believing that's what it actually is. Gas prices seem to fluctuate daily--is their fuel surcharge? If not, are they just trying to figure out an average cost? Or are they just using it as an excuse to charge you more?

I want a flat cost. Otherwise, why stop with the fuel? Maybe I didn't use as much air as the next diver--why should I be charged the same as him for refilling my tank? Obviously, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point. Pretty soon the whole trip devolves into who owes what, and how is that supposed to be any fun?

It's the bottom line I care about, not the details, so I'll answer Total Cost.

However, while I don't care about an itemized list, one wouldn't bother me.

I voted for seperate listings. I see I am the only one so far, but my reasoning is if I book out in advance, and fuel prices drop, I expect that amount to be refunded. If the tour price is increased without the listing then that is what you pay regardless.

Not that it ever makes a difference, gas prices don't really go down but a guy can dream...

Fuel surcharges are a misnomer for many of the larger operations. Most of them make an annual contract that establishes a fixed price for fuel. Smaller operations however are forced to buy fuel when they need it and may want or need to bump the charter given the current prices and port of departure.

So depending on the size and location of the charter operator, I don’t mind paying the surcharge.

I just want to know the total price. I don't care which part is fuel, or port fees, or tourist tax, or whatever else adds to the price of the trip.

... if I book out in advance, and fuel prices drop,......
:rofl3: be sure to let me know when this happens!

i think i voted correctly - i just want to know bottom line how much is it going to cost

flights/taxes/transfers/accomodation/diving/nitrox and any meals if applicable all lumped into one nice shiny number that i have to double as im a couple

cheers

the fuel surcharge makes good sense to me. If I am bidding a job and I call my supplier for a price per lb. on steel, I get today's price and I know if I am not ordering it now it can(and will) change by the time I place my order. Fuel surcharge on liveaboards etc seems like a logical way to handle that problem.

Slight preference towards listing separately. Usually the total is listed as well.
However, I don't like it when it is implied that the fuel surcharge might go up after I have paid.
I don't expect to be refunded or charged more.
My electric bill has about 6 line items just to get electrons to my house. That needs to be simplified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom