As a consumer, which do you prefer?

As a consumer, which price option would you rather see:

• tour price + fuel levy listed separately

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • tour price, no extras

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that it ever makes a difference, gas prices don't really go down but a guy can dream...
We all have short memories. Ten years ago crude was under $12/bbl, on its way down to below $10.

CO19981.png

I hate being nickeled and dimed. I hate a low base cost, and being charged for every little thing. Just tell me what something costs and include everything. Then I'll decide whether I want to go or not.

I prefer simple pricing. Just tell me up front how much something will cost. On the other hand, when there is volitility in costs such as with fuel, posting new pricelists can be a pain in the rear.

I wouldn't mind a statement such as this; Prices above reflect a fuel cost based on oil @ 100/bbl.
A fuel adjustment of $X.XX [or x%] will be added/subtracted for every change in oil prices of $10/bbl.

Forget the specifics, but I wouldn't mind a fluctuating adjustment if it came with a formula justifying it.

I don't like being nickeled and dimed on all sorts of things but there are times it makes sense to separate something. I don't mind the fuel surcharge when its a quickly changing thing and a relatively large part of the cost/hit to the operator. Better than being charged on an inflated price all the time just in case, or the operator going under or skimping on something else. (Maybe if the airlines had fuel charges they wouldn't be going under or eliminating drinks - oh wait, the luggage and water nonsense is the fuel charge, just more annoying.)

I was just looking at some stuff and noticed the Cuan Law has a formula which is nice. Cuan Law Rates.

I don't mind it being listed separately but if I booked in advance (and paid) I would expect that to be the price. If you want to raise the price or add a fuel surcharge between when I pay you and when the trip happens that is fine, but it shouldn't apply to customers who have already paid. You could offer me a full refund if I don't want to pay the extra but in most cases I would already have paid out additional money to get there, etc so that's not even realy an option. If I paid a month ago and there was a $20 fuel surcharge and now the operator wants a $30 charge should I have to pay the difference?

Bottom line, please. It's none of my business what your costs are. My business is what MY costs are.

I know my bottom line. I just need to know the total charge. If it falls within my budget, then I'll go out with you.

I think I'm going to start charging MY employer a fuel surcharge since it costs me more to come to work, and they don't give cost of living increases! (just like when I'm diving...I won't hold my breath!)

Anyway, this to me just seems like a reason for these guys to charge more for servces, and blame it on something. Charge what it's worth and don't whine about it period!

This sits badly with me because places like amusement parks and concert venues charge you to park, or charging for shipping and handling costs. We all know that you get the good or service you're selling for X amount, and are making XX percent on it, don't charge me more and blame it on something!

I want the total price listed at time of booking. If you want to display a breakdown of costs, excellent, but I want the total to be at the top in large print, not some subtotal that has little to do with what I end up paying.

When I book, I'm paying for my trip at your current going rate. If you think expenses will be higher by the time I actually go, either don't accept bookings so early or adjust your rates. No cheating, no takebacks. :D (If you based your prices on last year's expenses, don't expect me to pay for it.)

I really liked what Den Laman did. I paid a package price, but when they sent the invoice/receipt, it had the stay, the diving, and the truck rental itemized. That was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom