Aruba - beware of Pelican/Unique Sports of Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M

Further, if they left you, that says it all :)

I was left because I showed up late because I was running behind. IF I had been on time, I would have been ok.

They accomadated me though on a trip that was leaving in 30 minutes though and I had no issues transfering the paid trip over to the new trip. So I had no complaints at all.

I've dove with Pelican many times before they were taken over by Unique a few years ago and have never had a problem. They even supplied me with tools I need to fix my regulator before the boat left the dock once (the dive shop who serviced it, reconnected the hoses incorrectly. My bad for not checking before leaving for Aruba).

While I've never experienced any current on Arashi or Malmok, I have felt one at the Antilla which is closer to shore than Malmok.

Surface conditions in that area can get choppy in the afternoon, but have only ever done drift dives along the South Coast.

The owner of Unique, Emmit, posted a reply recently on another board regarding this incident, including changes he is implementing.

EDK:
I have read your comments and would now like to say a few words on the situation. Once the first group of divers surface and got on the boat, the captain radioed that he was getting nervous about not seeing the other group. The local visibility(police) were notified and our action plan was put into action. The visibility team radioed that they can see the divers on the surface and was directing the local fishing boat to go to them. Our own boats were also heading that direction and was decided the fastest way to get the divers was by the fishing boat. I met the visibility team on the pier infront of our shop and waited with them until our boat arrived. I had already asked the visibility team to first talk to the divers that came to this pier and then to talk in Dutch (since this is the primary language of the two instructors leading the groups to get the facts. I then would talk to the staff and confirm with the visibility team. All facts were the same. We conducted a entire staff meeting the following day and heard from each staff member on the boat and from the operations manager that day.The staff and management learned from this and has put in place some policies. The two instructors and captain realized what they did and what they should have done in order to have prevented this event. New policies in place: 1. I am now in charge of reviewing the staffs equipment and safety equipment and have regular checks conducted. 2. all staff know that a drift bouy must be used on any life entry from a boat. 3. Anytime a drift dive is going to be conducted it is mandatory for the dive leader to carry a drift bouy no exceptions. 4. ***all captains,instructors, and dive masters know that they can cancel a dive due to sea or weather or general safety concerns and not be influenced by divers or management. That I will stand behind them on their decision and will be available for complaints, refunds or rescheduling. This event did not go unchallenged and I can tell you that the staff/shop did learn a valuable lesson and something good did come of it. The following day, I did conduct some refunds and or complimentary dives to the divers that came to the shop. This letter will also be posted on the staffs notice board and they each will sign that they have read it. EDK

Thanks ScubaBOS. Do you know if Emmit was invited over to this thread to defend his honour so to speak? I think he could provide valuable insight into the situation. Just a thought.

I'm not sure. He must know that it exists as the original poster on the Aruba board said they read it from here.

Hi Again,

Just a final note to clarify. Thank you ScubaBos for quoting EDK regarding their changes/meeting the had to make safety a priority. However, just so we all dont get confused...the incident EDK is referring to, the reason they held their meeting, isnt the incident I was involved it. So its a 2nd incident all together. Similar but yet a very different incident.

So now this would be the ultimate proof - was this quote before or after Sept 3rd 2008(when we had our incident). If he made these statements before the 3rd than they were worthless, as not one of them was applied or put into action. If the statement was made after Sept 3rd, then this means there was a 2nd incident involving the police and Pelican!!!

So its about time they put some safety measures into action - 2 incidents?!? within such a short time of eachother?!? no excuses for that at all!!!!!!!!!

First of all quimbers, what happened is unacceptable as has been told so far however I believe you took quite a leap. Nowhere does it state when the "other" incedent occurred. You only know when your happened and you have assumed that it was around the saqme time. Maybe, maybe not.

This is why I feel somebody should formally invite Emmit to join this thread to discuss his side of the issues. If someone has an email address, I will gladly be the one to invite him.

I'm not sure. He must know that it exists as the original poster on the Aruba board said they read it from here.

FYI to all... the Aruba.com board is heavily moderated to make everything look nice and rosey for Aruba. it's their main tourism board and post that are negative there about anything are often deleted if someone complains.

This is why I feel somebody should formally invite Emmit to join this thread to discuss his side of the issues. If someone has an email address, I will gladly be the one to invite him.

Already done. See post number 6. They have apparently chosen not to respond here.

.....Already done. See post number 6. They have apparently chosen not to resond here.

Whoops....somehow missed that. Thanks. Well, then they are fair game.

.........the Aruba.com board is heavily moderated to make everything look nice and rosey for Aruba. it's their main tourism board and post that are negative there about anything are often deleted if someone complains.

Wow does this ever sound like another site.....rhymes with schmonairetalk :D. I thought they were the only digital protectionists.....guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, Mike, I agree. We were even told that the island wants to keep everything seeming safe and happy to attract tourists not scare them away (i'm sure everywhere is like this and i'm fine with that) That is why our incident only made the "locals" paper not the english/tourist papers. This is the only reason why I started this post - to emphasize the need for caution so things dont repeat themselves.

I also agree scubasteve, I dont know in which order things fall, I guess there are 3 events to be placed in order (our event, the event EDK refers to, their safety meeting) but unfortunately only EDK can put things into chronological order and we dont have the luxury of his input. Once again, I hope the meeting came last after the 2 bad events, so that way we all know this will never never never happen again to Pelican, especially since they now have so many emergency proceedures in effect, the only thing they have to concern themselves with is silly divers making errors! I hope they can return to an untarnished record. I still wont be diving with them ever again, their customer service skills need a bit of work.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom