Artificial Reefs in Texas - Stand up and be counted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy fello artificial reefers. We are also trying to sink some useless, navy surplus here in California.
We are running into some opposition and hope to follow in the footsteps of Florida, North Carolina, British Columbia etc....
The rusting hulls of numerous Navy ships are creating an environmental nuisance in their present state.
We aim to have MARAD put their program to work and clean these wrecks of all contaminants, float them to Los Angeles and sink them off South LA...this would take some pressure off the natural reefs and crate new preserves over sandy, barren bottom......Any advice for us ?
We can't seem to get the CA fish and Game intersted as of now...all the Los Angeles dive shops are interested in putting down a few wrecks to create new world class dive sites....Boat operators have responded and some local attorneys and business folks have pitched in as well.
Come on wreck divers, tell me why we shouldn't be taking advantage of the ships to reefs idea....these useless mothballed navy ships are costing us taxpayers millions every year....Why is there so much resistance when these new reefs will do only good if properly prepared to sit on a sandy ocean bottom ?
Have fun texas. I hope you will be reading about us in Cali soon....By the way we do have some wrecks here in San Diego..see the Yukon off mission beach CA only down for about 7 years and it is flourishing.

"Immediate Need for Divers to contact California Officials BEFORE New Regulations Hurt Local Dive Sites

Recreational Scuba Divers in California are in a political struggle to create Marine Protected Areas in an effort to stop dive site marine life degradation, do to over fishing by commercial and recreational extraction. The project area includes the Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Bay, distinguished as the second most popular dive destination in North America by SCUBA Diving Magazine in its February 2006 issue. This is the first of a series of project areas which well eventually create statewide networks of Marine Reserves and Marine Conservation Areas.
Comments from Dive Industry Needed to Help Preserve Important Dive Areas. Send emails here: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

This five year effort will culminate on March 15, 2006 when a Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) will designate one of six Packages of Maps as the "Preferred Alternative Package" of Marine Protected Areas. After several months of meetings and negotiating with commercial and recreational fishermen, non-consumptive recreational SCUBA divers developed Package #2, providing the greatest protection to the most coveted dive areas in Monterey and Carmel Bays. To link to a description of all the Packages, go to: [www.dfg.ca.gov]

Last week the staff of the BRTF submitted their own eleventh hour Package S (S for staff) which strips most dive sites of State Marine Reserve (SMR) protection. For nearly fifteen years Dive Master and Dive Boat Captain Edward C. Cooper advocated for the creation of a State Marine Reserve in Monterey. This SMR would be between the Coast Guard Pier and Lover's Point, an area with three safe shore access points, and which host over 65,000 dives per year. Also striped of SMR protection is the North Wall of Carmel Bay. Package 2 proposes SMR status from the Outer Pinnacles to Stillwater Cove. Package S does not. In the Monterey and Carmel Bay areas, there is a strong resemblance between Package S, the staff's proposal and Package 1, Fishermen's proposal, which provides the least overall protection. Package 2 would prohibit spear fishing tournaments. Package 1, and Package S would allow them.

The diving community wishes Package 2 to be designated selected the "Preferred Alternative". However, Package S has a high probability of being selected by the BRTF as the "Preferred Alternative" unless they hear from the diving community. If they do not select Package 2, please recommend to the BRTF that modifications be made to Package S in the South Monterey Bay Area, and in the North Carmel Bay Area. We are recommending to the BRTF that the Captain Edward C. Cooper State Marine Reserve be established between the Breakwater and Lover's Point to a depth of 60 feet. We are also requesting that a SMR be established from the Outer Pinnacles eastwardly, past Pescadero Point, to include Dali's Reef, the second most popular dive site next to the Pinnacles, in North Carmel Bay. Help stop Package S, by writing to the BRTF with these recommendations.

Please send an email supporting Package 2 and opposing Package S to: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov"

since we can't seem to get a response from TP&W in writing about the lack of public scrutiny regarding the artificial reef program, I intend to get the press involved. Trouble is, I don't know any press. If anyone has a contact, please PM me, and I will do what I can to shed some light on the backroom dealings.

Frank

Well so far the best I have been able to come up with is the TPWD says the head of the committee was supposed to be in charge of contacting people to get the interest going. Then I heard from Chairman Tarac who said the TPWD were the ones who put up the booths at the 2 public dive shows and 1 dive show for industry professionals . So it looks as if they are pointing at each other at this point. Even Chairman Tarac said the deal is not done until the boat is sunk so I guess there is still a chance the location can be changed. At least that's what I gather from all the posts back and forth. Still have not heard back from the TPWD in writing that the deal is done. My concern is the cost of this project, it seems very expensive and yet the deal is not done. Maybe, it is time for public scrutiny at a higher level?

Turns out the TPWD website says that all TPWD advisory committees were disbanded in September 2005. If that is true (and why would TPWD lie) why would TPWD blame the TARAC for not properly holding public comment meetings. TPWD needs to be held accountable for these decisions.

So then I guess ultimately the blame lies with TPWD. It would be easier to start the process with one segment of the TPWD and not the finger pointing aspect of "he said, he said" . Thanks for clarifying that Divewookie.

I received a reply today from Dale Shively at TPWD - he has told me to post this out for everyone's information. Public support is what's needed....

Thank you, and your club's members, for your support of the Texas Artificial Reef Program. The reef program is dedicated to the enhancement of marine habitat in the Gulf of Mexico and increasing fishing and diving opportunities for citizens of Texas and its visitors. I would like to address a few issues that you can forward to your membership.

Texas Clipper Ship Reef Project:
The Texas Clipper ship project is currently under review by the US Maritime Administration, Washington, D.C. I should get an official answer to the TPWD's request for transfer of the ship title by April. If the project is approved and funding terms are met, then the ship will be towed to Brownsville for cleanup. We hold the US Army Corps of Engineers reef site permit for a location in PS-1122 (South Padre OCS block) about 17nm miles out of Brazos Santiago Pass. The ship will be modified so that a dive would begin at 50ft from the surface (top of ship funnel) and the promenade deck will be at around 70ft. The plan is to have the ship sitting in an upright position off the bottom. Depending on the time frame of cleanup, the ship could possibly be reefed by fall 2006. BUT, we have a number of hurdles to jump first.

We are redesigning the Artificial Reef Website at TPWD and will have a "status update" link so the public can keep tabs on the project.

USS Texas Battleship:
There has been some scuttle butt recently in the dive community about TPWD considering the reefing of the USS Texas battleship. TPWD has NO plans or authority to do such a project. The ship is scheduled to undergo hull maintenance again and may require drydocking for that process. There has been discussions centering around the costs of continued maintenance on the ship and its drain on the parks budget. Any type of plan for using the ship as an artificial reef would require several things: grass routes efforts by the general public to raise funds (~ $4 million) and political support from the state legislature. The ship is of value as a nautical heritage site and there are some people who would not like to see her used as a reef. Again, at this time there is NO official movement by TPWD to consider reefing for the ship.

Dive Site in High Island Area:
The Artificial Reef Program is involved in a number of reefing projects in the Gulf; some nearshore for fishing and some further offshore for marine habitat enhancement. Through some discussions with divers and others, I agree that a ship reef in the High Island area could be a great boom for Texas diving. If divers are willing to travel over 50nm offshore for some good, clear water ship diving then the High Island area could certainly be home to the next ship project. At present, we do not have any immediate plans for another ship reef mainly due to funding. Funding on any future ship project will be the key to its success. The first step in getting a ship reefed in the High Island area needs to come from the grass routes efforts of local dive clubs, counties, and private individuals. If you can gather the support (petition drive, letters of support) and get financial commitments (donations, grants), the Artificial Reef Program can work to secure the reef site and a suiteable ship for reefing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom