Article: The Number One Rule In Scuba Diving: No Touching!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wanted to share a piece I posted much earlier today on my new website/blog. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share any insights, ask questions or poke me :poke:, just don't expect a reaction. :D
Oh and I decided to share this in the Basic discussion since it is about the Number One Rule we all hear about. Caveat: I actually think the number one rule should be to never run out of gas.

The Number One Rule In Scuba Diving: No Touching!

JANUARY 10, 2018 TURK VANGEL DIVE
Octo-touching.jpg

Divers touching an octopus. (Image Credit: David Clow)

We have all heard that the number one rule in scuba diving is to never hold your breath. I know that to be a lie or at the very best a half truth but I will save that for another article. The number one rule should be to not touch what we find or see once we descend below the surface. No touching should become our mantra and I will tell you why.

Divers are a unique breed to say the least. There are an estimated 7.6 billion people on Earth and of that only 11 million are scuba divers. That is a measly .14% that have decided to explore the 71% of our planet that is underwater. This leads us to become ambassadors for the lakes and oceans and guardians of all that live there or call it their final resting place.

What inspired me to write this were videos I had been watching over the past few days and the atrocious behavior I saw in them. The first behavior I saw were divers poking at animals to get them to move for, what I can only assume, was to get a better and more “exciting” video. I will never understand why this is seen as acceptable to some people. If you are making a dive video to show your family and friends what life is like underwater, why would you create a false image of this beautiful environment? As divers we all know that sometimes that one thing we are hoping to see just isn’t there. It may be there but hiding from predators and here you come with a poker, unhappy with its position or lack of movement, so you poke and prod to get it to react. This can lead to that same animal getting eaten as you have just made it leave its home or hiding place.

I have seen divers feeding ocean animals such as sharks and moray eels. I know there is a large debate about the feeding shark dives and they impact they have on animals as well as potential impact on human lives so I will leave that debate for another time. However we must look at how we interact with life in the water and why one would do such a thing.

What makes a diver do these things. Many divers love the life we find beneath the waves and diving is a passion for them yet for some, diving is a badge of honor. There is a big difference between being loving diving and loving being a diver! Some seem to dive just to post pictures of themselves in dive gear on their social media pages. The “look at me” mentality that runs rampant in the this day and age leads to some taking the courses just for those moments of perceived greatness that they can then post and allow others to ooh and ah at what it is they are doing. A similar thing can be seen in tech diving where the gear is different and at times, multiple tanks are used for deeper and more difficult dives. A small number of those taking tech courses do so just to enter a cave for the first time or to do a deep dive with a twinset and multiple slung stage bottles.

tech-diver-by-Paul.jpg

Tech Dive (Credit: Paul from Flickr)

This same mentality can apply to wreck diving where people have little care for the history of the wreck and the preservation of it. I saw a video on YouTube yesterday where three divers are diving the Amagisan Maru in Chuuk Lagoon where the stern rests at 60 meters/200 feet. A dive to 60 meters takes training, practice, skill and planning; yet while watching these people dive, I notice multiple times where they pick up objects. Not only do they pick them up but then they proceed to hold onto them as they continue to dive and place them in a different spot than they were in previously. Some people may not see an issue with this however if you are a paid guide in Chuuk and you have a group looking to take pictures of a specific item which you say you know how to locate and upon descent you find the object isn’t there anymore, how do you think your group would feel about that? Not to mention the disruption of a piece of history.

The touching or manipulation of animals underwater as well the blatant destruction of history by moving or removing items from a wreck have more of an impact than you may realize. We, as divers, also become ambassadors to what lies beneath the water. We share the images , videos and our stories with friends and loved and often ask them to join us in our adventures. To bear witness to the history and life under the surface of what covers the majority of our planet is a gift we should never take for granted as we are the ocean defenders. The number one rule of scuba diving is to never hold your breath. However in order to ensure there is life and history for future generations to see, the rule should be No Touching!

This article can be found here: Scuba With Turk - Scuba Training, Travel and Ocean Conservation

Last edited:
I only carry a camera myself, but I have a lot of crowbar and sledge hammer wielding dive buddies in the NYC area who might disagree with you! Although they wouldn't use the crowbar on an octopus...

:)

I only carry a camera myself, but I have a lot of crowbar and sledge hammer wielding dive buddies in the NYC area who might disagree with you! Although they wouldn't use the crowbar on an octopus...

Why would they disagree with me though? I am guessing it is because they strip wrecks? I am being very genuine as I would love to hear the other side of this. The people I know and dive with tend to take a softer more conservation style approach.

Spearfishing, abalone, and lobster hunters also disagree. Rules like this are as ill-informed as never hold your breath. The rule correct rule is "Never hold your breath, or block your airway, when ascending on Scuba (or surface-supplied)". The rule regarding touching is to use some common sense.

Spearfishing, abalone, and lobster hunters also disagree. Rules like this are as ill-informed as never hold your breath. The rule correct rule is "Never hold your breath, or block your airway, when ascending on Scuba (or surface-supplied)". The rule regarding touching is to use some common sense.

When writing the piece I assumed it was understood that hunting was not what I was referring to as I never mentioned it in the piece. My focus was on divers who are not hunting as clearly a hunter would have to "touch"

I appreciate the feedback but I don't see how my point is ill-informed but would like to hear why you feel that way. I also allude to the First Rule of never holding your breath being a half-truth which I plan on discussing in a future piece.

Why would they disagree with me though? I am guessing it is because they strip wrecks? I am being very genuine as I would love to hear the other side of this. The people I know and dive with tend to take a softer more conservation style approach.

Yup. Artifact hunting is a major reason that people dive in this area. Warships are off limits, but the bottom of our New York bight is littered with thousands of shipwrecks, most undiscovered, the detritus of New York's 500 years as a major shipping hub, and of the submarine warfare just off our shores during World War II (and in once case, World War I).

A common argument is that most of this stuff is condemned to decay into dust without ever having been seen by human eyes if left alone. Artifact divers can preserve and display history for many people who will never dive at all. Much of what we know about maritime history comes from these amateur archeologists (read Shadow Divers for an example of this).

So like most things, the devil is in the details. Anyone ripping apart the one major recreational wreck in a place like Bonaire is doing a bad thing. Touching a wooden wreck in the Thousand Islands is definitely a no-no. But much of what we know, and our wreck diving skills, come from people who have touched wrecks.

Say I'm diving along a wall in Cozumel and I find myself caught in one of those fabled down-currents, pulling me to what depth I don't know.

Can I grab hold of the wall?

Will it save your life or potentiality save it? The yes of course. Maybe I was not specific enough in the piece but I felt I didn't need to mention life-saving situations like down currents as well mentioning hunters because how can they hunt without touching.

Granted, the title is a bit sensationalized for viewership and SEO purposes but the point is there regardless IMO.

I'd think the Number #1 rule is: always BREATHE...:snorkel:

It is common to see large areas on the bottom that have been devastated by blooms of sea urchins on the Pacific Coast. Urchins eat the base of kelp and causes it to drift out to sea or end up on the beach creating a hatchery for flies. Kelp forests are the richest marine ecosystem I have ever seen. I have no hesitation over cracking urchins open to hand feed their rowe to fish. I'm pretty sure that the fish are happy about it along with the thousands of other creatures that depend on the kelp forest to survive.

Nothing goes to waste in the ocean. Everything in it is part of the food chain, including us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom