Article on deep stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The million dollar question is how does this jibe with what GUE is currently teaching?

Or will hopefully soon teach. Will Standards v.10 be released anytime soon?

General question - are GFs Low and High - gas agnostic? Should it matter?

So do you think GUE is going to up their GF low that is taught as tech 1 standard?

They should do. When I did tech 1 three years ago we did use deco software on our smartphone to plan a dive.

When we did a 45/150 feet dive we did start the ascend with 9 meter or 30 feet/minute. At 33 meter or 110 feet we did change the speed to 6 meter or 20 feet/minute. At 21 meter we did the first stop and gas switch.

With a gf low of 20 the first stop will be at 27 meter for a dive at 45 meter or 150 feet with 30 minutes of bottomtime. That didn’t make sense for me because we were not doing that stop. But ok, we did slow down the speed before we were at 21 meter.

But last year I did dive with tech 1 divers who did tech one later then me. The did start the ascent with 9 meter or feet / minute. They did keep that speed until they arrived at 21 meter/ 70 feet. That was how they did learn it during tech 1.

It’s nice to have procedures, but it really doesn’t make sense when you don’t follow your own procedures and learn students other things.

I’m not a dive instructor but I produce medicine and also train operators do that. I couldn’t explain operators that they shouldn’t follow the procedure. I also couldn’t explain to quality assurance that I learn new operators things that are not the same as described in procedures.

I hope they update it. Not holding my breath.

Aren't they advocating a higher GF Lo by publishing Dr Doolette's article in InDepth? A higher GF Lo is being covertly recommended. They put GUE divers and especially instructors in a tough predicament, at least at face value.

I wonder what the outcome of a 70/85 profile would be like on a 500'+ dive?

I wonder what the outcome of a 70/85 profile would be like on a 500'+ dive?
Dr Buhlmann would probably be shocked you expected his model to work at those kinds of depths

Everyone gets it. You got bent on a crazy deep dive.

Thanks for your concern and encouragement. :)

I will rephrase the question in an attempt to make it more publicly acceptable to you. How does this new thinking on deep stops work when increasing deeps and adding more helium to the mix? Are modifications needed to the low, high, or both gf numbers? Does the 83% remain linear regardless of any other perimeters?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom