Article: Karl Huggins' Journey to the Edge (the development of the world’s first commercially successful electronic dive computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting and very well written article! I enjoyed reading it; thank you.

Nice article. I remember seeing a friend showing us an Orca about 1988 -89? It was at least 12 years before I began diving. I liked the way it displayed the compartments. It was very impressive.

Very nice.There's been a lot of quiet pioneers whose works have improved both the quality and safety of diving by such work as Karl's, which made "non-military/commercial" (ie, non-square) dive profiles much more practical for the recreational diver in particular. And for the armchair historian, there's a lot more dive history to go delve into.I still have my old EDGE at home ... I'll have to go put a fresh 9V battery in it to see that it still is kicking. Perhaps I'll take it along on my next dive trip just to have fun with the Divemasters with it :D ...and if someone were to duplicate the EDGE's "Bar Chart" interface, I'd do what I told ORCA/EIT's Phillip May (RIP) many years ago: I'd buy what we called an "Edge-II" in a heartbeat. Its GUI is really a great illustration of the status of the controlling compartments, and nearly the perfect UI for the knowledgable diver to apply.-hh

Some of the other "quiet pioneers" are:

Bob Stinton, at DUI, who has done the grunt work on DUI's dry suits

Pete Ryan, at Kirby Morgan, who did most of the engineering work on the EXO mask and many Kirby Morgan helmets

Jerry Peck, the chief engineer at Ocean Technology Systems, who has developed most of their electronics

All of these guys deserve way more recognition than they have received.

Last edited:
Nice job, Steve. Karl certainly is a modest man who has done much to promote safer diving.

Awesome article Steve!It is great to know more about the men who have shaped modern diving. Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom