Article: Hollis Prism 2 Rebreather Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
3 cell, voting logic, manual adds, shearwater, etc. it looks nice but is there anything particularly remarkable about the unit? why buy a prism 2 versus another of the similar models out there?

Why buy this one over that one? I can't say. Is it or any other fully electronic CCR in the $8-$10,000 price range considerably better than the other one? Has there been any breakthroughs in technology that are missing out? It all boils down to personal preference... yes?

At this point in the game... what other features are people expecting on sport rebreathers? I know people want CO2 monitoring, but with the sentinel being over $13,000 is that something that should be added to a unit that apparently set the target price point under $10k??

IMO, there were notable features like the Peter Reedy influence with the counterlung water drain, water traps, and DSV which is similar to the Topaz. I also found the easy to hear solenoid nice. One thing I didn't mention in the article is the ability to add a fourth O2 sensor and monitoring for it if desired.

I guess (also IMO) the other key feature is that this product is coming from a major manufacturer in the dive industry with a long standing reputation for producing quality products, which this rebreather definitely is... a quality product.

i do like the way the hoses are routed to separate spots on the counterlung to create a better water trap. i feel like there are a handful of rebreathers out there that are more or less minor variations on the same design though.

---------- Post added ----------

looks nice, if similar in large measure to a handful of other similar rebreathers out there. as for co2 monitoring, i believe hollis has incorporated that into the explorere which if i'm not mistaken is cheaper than the prism 2.

---------- Post added ----------

looks nice, if similar in large measure to a handful of other similar rebreathers out there. as for co2 monitoring, i believe hollis has incorporated that into the explorere which if i'm not mistaken is cheaper than the prism 2.

The explorer is a recreational SCR.

Are there that many folks looking to add another stand alone O2 sensor to buy and maintain? I'm pretty sure at least one company quit making the counter lung style sensor. Just curious.

of course, so i wonder why they couldnt implement a co2 sensor on the prism2? anyway, i'll have to do a try dive some day to check it out.

I'm glad to have had a chance to try it out as well there and had a chance to meet Howard & Megan. The re-breather handled beautifully and the weight was surprising in how much lighter it was than a standard bcd & tank rig.

Thanks to everyone who came to this event! You made it great and we hope to see you again.

Other than the Meg and the Nautilus, I'm not sure there is anything comparable. The Prism I excelled in work of breathing and scrubber efficiency, and the Prism II has the same characteristics. They replaced the fragile and brittle epoxy parts with injection molded plastic, very nice. The silly tabs/pins that held the bucket on are gone and replaced with the kind of latches you find on the SS scooters (we did the same thing to my Prism I). I wish they could have retained the Prism I HUD, which I love. Do you know if the ADV is improved from the Prism I? We replaced ours with the more reliable ISC one with a shut off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom