Article: Dive dry with dr. Bill #604: Abalone smoke during, not after

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sadly on my recent dives I have noticed that the rock movement in the dive park due to the surge from Hurricanes Marie, Norbert and Odile has apparently trapped some of the abalone under rock piles that further limit their ability to capture what little drift kelp may be present. I've seen a few of them buried fairly deep under the rocks that were tossed around. Very sad result from the hurricanes, especially in view of the wasting disease in sea stars and the thermal stress in sea urchins and possibly sea cucumbers.

I grew up in California I remember people would have shells as decorations for rock walls etc. Sad that things have gone down hill so fast. Love the pics!

Yep, abalone used to be so abundant that I could walk down to the shore by my marine lab and collect one for dinner at low tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom