Article: Carbon Monoxide in Scuba Tanks: Risks and Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THe Analox website has an explanation and a user manual for the CO tester- EII.

EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe.

The manual states that you need both CO and O2 analyzers.

In reply to your question whether CO changes the mix of nitrox: A toxic amount of CO would still be (same) toxic no matter how much O2 is in the mix.

I don't know if you are suggesting that there is an inference from measuring O2 content to estimating CO content, but if so, that inference appears illogical. It would be dangerous to guess in that manner. IMHO.

Dive Safe

How would this work when diving with Nitrox, are you able to test for both?

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

How would this work when diving with nitrox, would the co change the mix of nitox?

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 09:19 AM ----------

Last edited:
There seems to be a line of thinking that people can view a fill station and "know" whether they are safe...or whether their buddies are "doing a good job". Personally I think that is silly, know of divers who have been injured and one that died from co.

I test every single tank my wife and I breathe for o2 content and co, but then again I wear my seatbelt, monitor my blood pressure and exercise in order to keep diving as long as I can. Others can do whatever they'd like, not my problem.
We've been testing co for over 2 years now and the current line of testers are really great, cost around 2-300 dollars and well worth the money in my opinion.

Until recently I did not even know that CO poisoning was a potential issue with diving! I don't recall seeing that in the books, or dvds, or hearing it from a real live person. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, thank you for all the discussion, and opening my eyes to this possibility.
Contaminated air should have been covered in your OW course. IIRC it dont go into very much detail, but it does mention making sure your air comes from a reliable source and to not breathe air that smell or taste funny. Cant recall it going into specifics of CO though other than possibly making sure the fill station dont have exhaust going out from the compressor/nearby vehicles near the air intake.

I think random exhaust could be the unknown scary issue. I really wonder, though, how much a car or boat exhaust can contaminate an air fililng station nearby - really have no idea. But, I remember sitting on a balcony of a hotel in Key Largo a few years back watching tanks get filled on the dock while a fishing boat pulled up coughing blue smoke and tied up right next to the fill shed. I certainly cringed, but even being a diver I didn't really know or think about CO Analyzers until DandyDon got me on board his mission :cool2:

I think random exhaust could be the unknown scary issue. I really wonder, though, how much a car or boat exhaust can contaminate an air fililng station nearby - really have no idea. But, I remember sitting on a balcony of a hotel in Key Largo a few years back watching tanks get filled on the dock while a fishing boat pulled up coughing blue smoke and tied up right next to the fill shed. I certainly cringed, but even being a diver I didn't really know or think about CO Analyzers until DandyDon got me on board his mission :cool2:
Exhausts can be a source, more so with pluming around compressors and station-wagon effects on liveaboards. However, an electric compressor with clean intake can still produce CO internally when it burns its own lubricating oil during busy periods when the machine heats up - especially in tropical climates. We now have the ability to easily test tank air, a recent innovation really. Testing dozens of tanks and getting nothing can be boring but reassuring, but the first time you see digits is eye opening. :shocked2: If you test a hundred tanks finding nothing, or drive 100,000 miles without a wreck - great, but knowing what you are breathing at depth and wearing seatbelts are still good ideas.

If you test a hundred tanks finding nothing, or drive 100,000 miles without a wreck - great, but knowing what you are breathing at depth and wearing seatbelts are still good ideas.

It is even worse than that
You can drive your car without a seat belt & until you crash it won't be an issue, & you may have an airbag or 3 to save you.

but high C0 & depth = serious problem...

We had C0 in the 3rd cylinder we ever tested

This had been filled by a dive shop from their van.. - Diesel compressor.

Now every cylinder gets tested - before we fill & after.

an option for some is to purchase a CO tester as a group, assuming you either go on the same vacations, or at lease at different times.

an option for some is to purchase a CO tester as a group, assuming you either go on the same vacations, or at lease at different times.
You could. Since you can now rent one of a week long trip for $35 +shipping, that sounds easiest.

You could. Since you can now rent one of a week long trip for $35 +shipping, that sounds easiest.

thanks, did not know about the renting option. Probably a good option for anyone that goes on one trip per year, and trusts their local fill station.

thanks, did not know about the renting option. Probably a good option for anyone that goes on one trip per year, and trusts their local fill station.
It's a new option that developed after I wrote the article. See my current Sig for a link, or his...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom