Arriving to Cancun airport mid-Jan/2018.... any recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jontay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks,

I'm a 57 yr. old male, traveling solo, new diver (PADI certified almost 20 years ago but never went anywhere). Have always wanted to visit/scuba dive Mexico/Carribean so I recently booked round trip to Cancun to arrive in mid-Jan./2018 but no other plans from there.

Have two weeks before my return flight and free to go just about anywhere. Just looking for some recommendations for where to go that would offer some good diving and also other recreational activities (visiting ruins, zip line, touring, chillin on beach, local cuisine/people, tipping back a couple beers, etc). My primary focus is to hopefully do some diving in different areas.

Don't think I want to do the "all-inclusive resort" thing as I tend to be what I guess you would call a "mild adventurer" and don't want to feel the obligation of staying near the resort. Prefer to be more immersed into the cultures that I visit. I have a pretty fair amount of international budget travel experience/savvy over the years.

Upon arrival to Cancun I'm just thinking about heading south towards the Puerto Morelos area for a day or two and then just kind of see what happens.

Really looking forward to getting involved in the Scuba Community as it's been a LIFELONG bucket list item that I'm now going to pursue.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, opinions or recommendations??? I would sincerely value any and all.

Happy New Years to everyone!

Jontay

1. Hire a cab or hop on a bus and go straight to Playa del Carmen, take the next ferry to Cozumel and stay there for as long as you plan on diving.
2. Research and find a dive shop that will give you a refresher class and will take you where it’s appropriate with skills you have just now.
3. Stay at a hotel near the main square - plaza.
4. Great restaurants and lots to do there.
5. When you are done with diving, go back to the mainland and resume your holiday.
Cheers,
Ricardo
PS: we’ve done this many times, the problem is we never leave Cozumel. It’s that great.
Enjoy.

Yep, what Ricardo said!

I just started diving a little over three years ago and next week will be my 11th trip to Cozumel. I would like to try some diving on the mainland but I am having so much fun diving in Cozumel I don't want to give any of it up. Descent hotels at good prices, no need to rent a car, a variety of good food, oh and great diving.
There is quite a bit of information on here about how to get to Cozumel from Cancun, just search Bag Drag.

Seriously as others have said take the ADO bus to Playa del Carmen and hop the ferry over to Cozumel. I learned to dive on the mainland at Akumal and really enjoyed it. Then I visited Maui and was not real impressed so I kept going back to Akumal. Then ventured down to Xcalak and made it over to Chinchorro banks and also dove the local reefs, real impressed. Then about 5 years back at about 65 dives I made the mistake of going over to Cozumel. It was like lighting a crack pipe!, 600+ dives in Cozumel later I still can’t get enough of it. Between the dives and the atmosphere of the island I can find nothing that compares. I have tried several other destinations and I shouldn’t compare everywhere else to Cozumel but I find myself doing it and they come up short.

Food and lodging downtown are pretty cheap and on the safety and security side Cozumel is still a bubble of calm in Mexico. I dive with and cheerlead for Tres Pelicanos, because they are IMO the best, but there are many other first class dive operations available. If you contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com she can set you up. Whether you dive with 3P or another OP you should try Cozumel for at least a few days at the beginning of your trip and this will give you a baseline standard to judge other dive areas to if you venture back over to the mainland.

I found this video very helpful a few years ago. Things have changed just a little bit, the airport terminals have expanded some and there is an additional ferry service aside from ultramar and waterjets... barcos caribe. But this still applies and you will get a pretty accurate idea of how, what, when and where to make this happen.
In any case, check this out....Thank you ScubaTony!!!
Ricardo

Seriously as others have said take the ADO bus to Playa del Carmen and hop the ferry over to Cozumel. I learned to dive on the mainland at Akumal and really enjoyed it. Then I visited Maui and was not real impressed so I kept going back to Akumal. Then ventured down to Xcalak and made it over to Chinchorro banks and also dove the local reefs, real impressed. Then about 5 years back at about 65 dives I made the mistake of going over to Cozumel. It was like lighting a crack pipe!, 600+ dives in Cozumel later I still can’t get enough of it. Between the dives and the atmosphere of the island I can find nothing that compares. I have tried several other destinations and I shouldn’t compare everywhere else to Cozumel but I find myself doing it and they come up short.

Food and lodging downtown are pretty cheap and on the safety and security side Cozumel is still a bubble of calm in Mexico. I dive with and cheerlead for Tres Pelicanos, because they are IMO the best, but there are many other first class dive operations available. If you contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com she can set you up. Whether you dive with 3P or another OP you should try Cozumel for at least a few days at the beginning of your trip and this will give you a baseline standard to judge other dive areas to if you venture back over to the mainland.

Good,solid advice here (and from others). If you're going to dive the Yucatan, don't screw around, just do it right the first time, and go straight to Cozumel.

As said, for ocean dives go to Cozumel. And I love Tres Pelicanos as well but there are so many good choices it is hard to go wrong. 3Ps does have a solid reputation here on SB.

In Cozumel stay downtown. Its an easy walk to lots of great eating options and taxis are easy to get for trips to any of the beach resorts for the day. But consider renting a car for a day to tour the east side of the island. In town there are many options including hotels, small condos with kitchens and
B &B’s.
We love this one
Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast is located right in downtown Cozumel, and it is ideal for travelers who want local attractions at their doorsteps: great dining, the main pier, the central park, local shops and more are all at a short walk from this charming villa. A delicious, complete breakfast consisting of fresh brewed mexican coffee, selection of teas, fresh orange juice, pastries or homemade baking, hot main dish /mexican dishes are our specialty!) and fresh fruit and yogurt is served in the terrace every morning.

Magda cooks a mean authentic mexican Breakfast, very private and perfect location. And if you decide to rent a car they have a lot for parking so no worries find street parking.

For the mainland, lots of land based activites. Tour the ruins. I did Tulum and Coba but Chichen Itza is the largest and most famous. Whichever you do get there early, when they open. And absolutely do at least one day of cenote diving. Do rent a car on the mainland.

Last edited:
If, as you say you were certified "almost 20 years ago" and have 0-24 dives, then I strongly suggest a refresher course and a few pool sessions before your trip.

Other than that, some good advice given.

(BTW, on a "non-diving day", since you're in the area, make sure to check out the Mayan ruins in Tulum.)

WOW....you guys rock!!! Thank you for all the advice. This is awesome and I am so stoked!! You guys have me sold on Cozumel but I am also torn between a few days at PM or PDC first and then head over to Cozumel. From what I am reading, I could get in a little over my head by initially starting at Cozumel(?) but I'm not sure.

So far the only thing I have done is I have booked a flight to Cancun and no real plans other than that. Trying to decide where to spend the first few nights and try to get some refresher dives in(?).
Right now, I am thinking maybe of starting at Puerto Morelos or Playa Del Carmen for a couple days and then maybe over to Cozumel. Cozumel seems to be coming highly recommended by many, but maybe I would be better with a tad bit more diving experience before heading there(?). You all are sure making Cozumel sound like it is the right place to head to.

Still looking for cheap lodging as all I really want is a bed (safe). Thinking AirBnB might be a good way to go?

Please feel free to offer opinions if anyone wants to take the time.

Thanks for all of the great, informative responses. VERY much appreciated!!! :)

Ricardo V., uncfnp, Mark IV, Hoag, gopbroek, Streydog, flyboy08..........if you guys overhear my big mouth in some pub in Cozumel or the Caribbean and you are pretty sure it's me....... be sure to introduce yourself so I can buy you a drink! :)

Jontay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom