Arriving by cruise ship....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand how someone could make a bogus log book, but how can a person buy C-cards without doing the courses? Is there a black market C-card forgerer out there somewhere?

Corrupt instructor

As an aside, my now favorite LDS, which is not the one I used for my PADI OW, turned me away from their pool when I forgot to bring my C-card

Absurd and unjustified. There's no "legal" obligation to have a C-card for diving in the ocean, still less for a dip in a swimming pool.

Back to the original OP, HP throught the cruise ship is the way to in Belize. Because of the long tender to Belize City, HP will pick you up directly at the ship and return you there.

Other ports such as Roatan and Cozumel, there are good options you can book on your own. The logistics of Belize just make that more difficult.

Pretty much like Peter I lost my cards and have not kept a log book for many many years but because I have been in the industry for many many years most places i go diving knew me, and that I had dive shops in Belize should anyone really question me a quick google on my name should do it, additionally I can quote my Padi Instructor number and they can look it up if they really want to but it never gets that far.

Also pretty much the same as Peter if someone showed up and forgot there card that did not mean they could not dive. we either called Padi or they showed us they knew what they were doing and it takes about 30 second to see if they really know what they are doing.

With regards to cruise ship diving, I am a fan of HP and they are a great op however there are some people that just dont want to dive with the cruise ship operator for multiple reasons, one being interpreted as a cattle boat, and many divers just don't want to get on a boat with loads of divers, now I understand that HP splits them up into groups of 8 and that is also great but again some divers don't wish to be on a boat with 24 + divers all of different experiecne levels and dealing with the time it takes to organize all those divers and ge them in the water and the fact that dive spots will be picked based on the lowest experience level.

The boatride into the village is only 15 minutes so its not a long boat ride but your right compared to other cruise destinations the choices are limited in Belize in comparison, but there is an alternative to the Cruise operator if divers really wish to go with a smaller operator.

There are certainly some positives diving with the cruise ship operator as they pick up and drop off at the ship and dive Turneffe but me personally would still not dive with them as a personal preference and this is not in any way a reflection on the operator, I just cant stand to be on a boat with so many divers no matter how well organized it is. thats just me.

I prefer a smaller operation and will make the effort to search them out if I really wanted to dive from a cruise ship.

Gaz Cooper

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies, both on and off-topic.

OFF-TOPIC

The past two shops I've worked for, put more into C-cards and not so much into logbooks.
As one poster stated, logbooks do get lost, forged and are otherwise unreliable.

MOST C-card holders, are what they say they are.... I said MOST.

Also, it was said a savy Instr, DM or shop personnel today can quickly determine if someone has the knowledge/skills to dive..... especially with internet access.

I know when I go to Jamaica, and stay at Superclubs, if you're not an Advanced OW diver, or above, and can prove it... you will not go on the Deep Dive trip.

Thanks again for your replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom