Armed robbery at cenote'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought guns were illegal in Mexico.

For the most part guns that use a round that was used by anyone's military are illegal to own and the controls on other firearms are very tight. So a 30-30 can be legal and a 30-06 is not. But we are not dealing with law abiding citizens in this case. The way that system works is that you "rent" a gun from your local drug dealers who are very well armed. Commit the crime, and return the gun to the lessor.

BTW, saw that this was posted on playainfo and the best response was that Angelina was remote and that this type of crime has happened there before. Personally, I think that the robbers were surprised to find someone watching the vehicles and put a pretty good scare in him. What is disturbing is that his being there didn't stop them.

The lesson to be learned is that when you are in remote areas, limit your loss exposure and remember that not everyone respects a car window when they want to steal something.

The driver was traumatized, he wasn't in on it - according to the guides. One of the guides also guides for me on occasion and I know the loss that he incurred and it will hurt him financially.

I stopped taking people to Angelita after the entrance fee was raised, the attendant was removed and no tables are provided and no improvements to the pathway and exit were done. Since that time, some improvements have been completed, however many shops will not go back until a safer system is in place.

There have been thefts at a few other remote cenotes and I know at Mayan blue, the land owner is trying to make it more secure, so there is hope for Angelita.

Dennis

I don't think ANYTHING is illegal in Mexico .

Just a quick update on this thread: I dived Angelita last week and someone (the owner's son?) is busy building a house out there. This means there are now proper bathrooms there too! I think the guy was planning to live out there so hopefully robberies and thefts at this cenote are a lot less likely to happen from now on.

Oportunity,motive,inside Info.Two guns that did not work. I second the motion check that helper closer. 90% Of the time its the employee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom