Arm sore when putting on BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi there,
Some months ago, my left arm started hurting whenever I would go to put on my BCD. Same when putting on a backpack. Vertical lifting not a problem, but feels like bicep. I don't remember doing anything to hurt it, but of course I must have. It's not debilitating, and I can still put on the BCD without major strain, but the ache is sometimes still there. Anyone have an idea of what I did, and what exercise can I do to tone it up without stressing it for the time being? Thanks...

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Hi there,
Some months ago, my left arm started hurting whenever I would go to put on my BCD. Same when putting on a backpack. Vertical lifting not a problem, but feels like bicep. I don't remember doing anything to hurt it, but of course I must have. It's not debilitating, and I can still put on the BCD without major strain, but the ache is sometimes still there. Anyone have an idea of what I did, and what exercise can I do to tone it up without stressing it for the time being? Thanks...

Too hard to tell over the internet. A chronic pain is the sign of an inflammation injury, which is not necessarily treated with exercise to strengthen the site of the injury. In many cases, this can make things worse as long as the inflammation cycle is active.

Whenever you find yourself changing the way you do things because of an injury or nagging pain, it's time to see a medical expert in person. They should be able to diagnose you with a few manipulations. Once you have a qualified diagnosis, I can certainly help you with ideas about reconditioning that will fit within whatever limits your physician or PT might give you.

Cameron

You might have strained the muscle twisting your arm into a weird position. How do you put on your BC? If you're kind of slinging it on or twisting in the water for it, that can add unnecessary strain. If you can find something of the appropriate height (like a truck tailgate), put your BC on like that, loosen the strap for your left arm, and have your buddy guide it without putting strain on the bicep. If you're hauling up your buddy's BC, which is bicep-intensive, you might see if you can find a way that he or she can employ the same tactic, thus releasing strain on you.

I'd also see a doc. If you have a partial tearing in one of the attachment points, you can tear out part of the muscle, which requires surgery. Had a professor that tore out one of the heads of his bicep while moving firewood. For the time being, try to avoid heavy lifting, particularly of the variety where your elbows are down and your palms are up, as this puts the most strain on the biceps.

Back
Top Bottom