Arizona accident critically injures one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He did not survive, and current news seems to suggest they don't suspect any problems, or don't know enough about rebreathers to ask. From Official: Scuba diver may have died of natural causes at Lake Pleasant - News from The Arizona Republic
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office do not suspect any foul play in the death of a scuba diver found motionless on the bottom of Lake Pleasant over the weekend.
Sheriff’s office spokesman Chris Hegstrom said investigators have no easy answers into the death of the 49-year-old man on Sunday, but it appeared he died from natural causes.
The man, whose name was not released, was found by his diving partner after the two men were exploring about 15 feet below the water’s surface.
Hegstrom said he didn’t know if there would be an autopsy.
Peoria Fire Department spokesman Tom Pendley said Sunday that the man was not breathing when fellow divers pulled him from the water.
An off-duty paramedic administered CPR and resuscitated the man while other called 911. He was airlifted to John C. Lincoln hospital, where he passed away, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

He did not survive, and current news seems to suggest they don't suspect any problems, or don't know enough about rebreathers to ask.
I think they likely do:

In addition, the Lake Patrol Division has a nationally recognized dive team, which has been called upon for their services throughout Arizona, the Western United States and in Mexico. Since 1986, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Lake Patrol Division has been hosting and instructing a Joint Agency Dive Seminar for government agencies throughout the Western United States which are responsible for search and recovery missions requiring diving expertise.

Steve,

I think he was referring to the news reporters not knowing about rebreathers, not the MCSO guys. :D
Not really. Based on the news story as given, it seems to state that Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office may not know - but they may well have other knowledge, resources and plans than given in the article.

Last edited:
Lake "pleasant", 15 ft depth, rebreather. I rest my case.
Please explain. Is there something wrong with diving a rebreather in shallow water? I need to know because I will be conducting a rebreather try dive in a pool this weekend and I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom