Argon Is it a myth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't think Argon can make you warmer do you think that Helium will make you colder? Just put 35% He in your drysuit then tell us how it feels. On the long walks I do with my gear on I put my backgas (21/35) in my drysuit just to stay cool. Then I purge with argon when I hit the water.

... do you think that Helium will make you colder?
Yah, been in the chamber with heliox, He chills the crap out of me. That's a known & accepted fact.
Argon as a suit gas was a coin toss, I never noticed much, if any, difference.
The study done by the UHMS illustrated that there was no detectable difference between air & argon as far as insulative properties when used as a suit gas.
I wish they would've done a larger sampeling with different types of undies though.

Other than that, Si Tech makes a "manifolded inlet valve" where a person can hook silicone tubing inside their suit to the extremities, for rapid & thorough purging. (reminded me of the piping in a hot water suit)
In the UHMS study they had an O2 gauge set up on their exhaust & kept purging 'till 0% was reached.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Yah, been in the chamber with heliox, He chills the crap out of me. That's a known & accepted fact.
Argon as a suit gas was a coin toss, I never noticed much, if any, difference.
The study done by the UHMS illustrated that there was no detectable difference between air & argon as far as insulative properties when used as a suit gas.
I wish they would've done a larger sampeling with different types of undies though.

Other than that, Si Tech makes a "manifolded inlet valve" where a person can hook silicone tubing inside their suit to the extremities, for rapid & thorough purging. (reminded me of the piping in a hot water suit)
In the UHMS study they had an O2 gauge set up on their exhaust & kept purging 'till 0% was reached.

The effect with He is probably far more noticeable than the effect with Ar since the difference between air and He is almost an order of magnitude larger than the difference between Ar and air.
In this UHMS study, how did they measure the difference in insulating properties? How do you measure the temperature perception of a diver :confused:
I am about to try Ar myself and i am very curious to find out how noticeable the effect is :mean:

MYTH???

Ooh my God. Argon is far superior than air and this issue has not only been proven already, but exhaustively discussed. Do you really think that people strap on argon bottles and go through this hassle to look cool with an extra tank of their backs? Nope, it is there because it works. Plain and simple

who ever says argon is a myth obviously doesnt know what they are talking about. I just started using argon and it does make a difference

sheck33 once bubbled...
I just started using argon and it does make a difference

Are you saying it makes a difference over inflating your suit with Mix or Air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom