Areas to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most dangerous, or more accurately hair raising, time is driving the back streets at night avoiding hitting the scooter ninjas wearing all black with a fading 2watt headlamp racing around like maniacs.
It doesn't help that at many intersections in town the buildings reach nearly to the corner. Driving a car you have to have your front bumper well out into the cross street before you can see what's coming. The taxistas are used to it; it's one reason I'd rather let them do the driving.

Not a bad blog, but not the greatest either.

One of the claims in this blog is false, about using cash machines in banks. The only problem that I've ever had with unauthorized charges to my credit card originated from an ATM machine inside of a bank lobby. You're card is not safe anywhere, so use ATMs with care and keep close tabs on your account activity.

The blog also mentioned nothing about the Mexican police, who are your greatest threat (just like they are in the USA). The police are always on the take, looking for money, especially if you're a gringo driving somewhere outside of town. Keep only $20 or $30 in your wallet, and stash the rest of your cash somewhere else on your body. That way you can give the policeman the bribe that they demand, but you can also claim that all you have is $20 or $30. This tactic has saved me a lot of money in Mexico when the police grab my wallet and look for more money. What ever money you keep in your wallet will end up in the police officer's wallet.

Bottom line -- you're safer in Cozumel than you are in the USA. And the people in Coz are nicer, too. If you drive away from town, be prepared to be pulled over my police and be prepared to pay the police a bribe.

Swimming in the boat lanes without a buoy. There was a fatality today in town. The story unfolding is that the folks on the large yacht anchored downtown chartered a snorkel boat and at least one person was swimming off it without a marker and was struck by the prop of another passing boat (about a snorkel / local fishing size boat). No details as to why the victim was in the water without a marker bouy.

Swimming in the boat lanes without a buoy. There was a fatality today in town. The story unfolding is that the folks on the large yacht anchored downtown chartered a snorkel boat and at least one person was swimming off it without a marker and was struck by the prop of another passing boat (about a snorkel / local fishing size boat). No details as to why the victim was in the water without a marker bouy.

I took it that they were snorkeling off the big boat and got hit by the snorkeling boat which brought him into shore - who knows, it's hard to tell. I think there was another death off Hemingway yesterday, a swimmer.

You folks doing shore dives at Tiki Bar - be careful - I dive a lot there with no marker but I hug the bottom till I get in deeper water.

The blog also mentioned nothing about the Mexican police, who are your greatest threat (just like they are in the USA). The police are always on the take, looking for money, especially if you're a gringo driving somewhere outside of town. Keep only $20 or $30 in your wallet, and stash the rest of your cash somewhere else on your body. That way you can give the policeman the bribe that they demand, but you can also claim that all you have is $20 or $30. This tactic has saved me a lot of money in Mexico when the police grab my wallet and look for more money. What ever money you keep in your wallet will end up in the police officer's wallet.

Bottom line -- you're safer in Cozumel than you are in the USA. And the people in Coz are nicer, too. If you drive away from town, be prepared to be pulled over my police and be prepared to pay the police a bribe.
FWIW, I have been to Cozumel 40 or so times since 1978 and I have never been harassed by a policeman, and neither has anyone I know. I have driven around the island and in the back streets of Cozumel many times, and over on the Yucatan to Tulum and Chichen-Itza a couple of times where I was stopped at checkpoints and passed through with no problems. I know that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but I can't believe it is as commonplace as you imply.

FWIW, I have been to Cozumel 40 or so times since 1978...
I've only been to Coz 20 times in 15 years, and I've been stopped by police every time I rent a car and leave San Miguel.

The last time, the police came up behind and started passing me, then then he saw that I was a gringo, dropped behind me, and turned on his lights.

FWIW, I have been to Cozumel 40 or so times since 1978 and I have never been harassed by a policeman, and neither has anyone I know. I have driven around the island and in the back streets of Cozumel many times, and over on the Yucatan to Tulum and Chichen-Itza a couple of times where I was stopped at checkpoints and passed through with no problems. I know that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but I can't believe it is as commonplace as you imply.

I also have never had an issue with police on Coz, or mainland Q Roo either. Recently, a friend’s American son was driving a rental late at night. The police stopped him and asked if he had been drinking. The kid truthfully answered no. The cop inspected his license and sent him on his way. No problem. Like most situations, travelers with no negative encounters rarely report in.

I've only been to Coz 20 times in 15 years, and I've been stopped by police every time I rent a car.
You must look like a target. How many times did you rent a car? If that's both times, the study is too small. I avoid renting cars, have only twice on the island I think, a few more times on the peninsula, but never stopped.

One time in Canada I noticed that I was passing a lot of cars, then finally figured out how to change the speedometer to Km/hr! OOps!

I took it that they were snorkeling off the big boat and got hit by the snorkeling boat which brought him into shore - who knows, it's hard to tell. I think there was another death off Hemingway yesterday, a swimmer.

You folks doing shore dives at Tiki Bar - be careful - I dive a lot there with no marker but I hug the bottom till I get in deeper water.
I always consider Coz shore dive to be overhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom