Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hated having that thing slapping around my head all the time. Now, Ijust carry a folding snorkel in my BC pocket. It might be a bit cumbersome to pull out if I'm wearing 5mm gloves, but at least it's there.

I do always use a snorkel, and will always do.
I find it very useful for surface swims to save tank air, waiting in the surface while the buddy gets ready to go down, and, if something happens, it's there if I ever need to use it.
The following is a photo-log of my dives. The first two (up-left) are "try-scuba" or "discover-scuba" dives before get certified. That's why there is no snorkel. The first one is back in January 1990. The second is in February 2007, and the rest from 2007 till last month.

Attachments

• Todos los buceos19b.jpg
    Todos los buceos19b.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 145
I use one on every dive except ice diving or penetrations, (I haven't done either in years.)
Snorkel gives me an easier float or swim to the site, saves air, I can see down and check out the sights while on the surface, etc. Easier to breathe in wavy conditions I find, without using tank air. Doesn't bother me at all to have it on my mask. Feel kind of under-equipped without it.

When I have been out diving I have seend (also in pictures etc) that some wears a snorkel and some not while SCUBA diving.

How do you do? Why?

How??---the way I was taught 27 yrs ago....Why??---why not(if you ever have to make a 45 minute surface wait before boarding the boat 125 miles offshore, you might appreciate a '2nd' way to breath--besides your tank----think about that for a couple of moments)........btw, if you think a snorkel is uncomfortable, there's something wrong with your brain------IMO..but remember too, God made chocolate AND He made vanilla.....

Also OP, you might want to do a search here, this has been talked about ad nauseam-------------------------

This pic is of me about 2 weeks ago--dive #1550+, still 'doing it' the 'real right way'....click link below---this stupid 'new' place sucks.......
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/...4393_100000545901053_1142385_1229733786_n.jpg

I wear mine, I was trained that way, it has come in handy for myself and sometimes in lending to others who need to surface ahead of the rest of us AND I don't even notice it's there anymore.

It's another tool. So it depends. Yes for teaching, long surface swims, when supervising large groups (ie...teens in the pool for dsd, and staff swims around some on surface some on bottom). No for personal recreational dives with little or no surface swim, boat dives, or any dives wearing 200 cubic feet of air and a long hose. If all I did were boat recreational dives, I would never use a snorkel. It's never yes/no for me, there's always a reason and situation for every tool.

training,teaching,etc. yes
ice diving...again yes!!!!
keep your face in the water to acclimate
don't breathe off your primary-freeze up at surface...
about the only time i don't have one on is when i'm diving a ripping current
...and then i keep it with me for surface time...
old habits are habits nonetheless-training!!
have fun
yaeg

I always wear a snorkel and in Cozumel, if currents are strong you may bob around in swells for 20-30 mins depending on how long it takes the folks ahead of you to get back on the boat, as was the case last June.

On one of my very first dives following certification we were in the Keys and I was buddied with another newbie. About 15 minutes into the dive, being a good buddy, I asked her how much air she had. She signaled "three". I thought there was no way she had 3,000 psi and asked again, dreading the answer. Yep - three HUNDRED - and I had about 2200. We did a safety stop then headed back to the surface and began the loooooong surface swim to the boat (did I mention it was a long swim?). While I had plenty of air, my buddy's tank was almost bone dry - we both had snorkels so it made it easier to swim but that taught me a lesson and I made a personal decision to always wear one. (And to find another buddy for dive #2!)

I keep a rolled up one in a small pouch on my waist. It is actually a legal requirement to have a snorkel, along with cutting device and surface marker where I live so no choice really. I still carry one when I travel though.

I wouldn't want to dive with it hanging off my mask the whole time.

I do exactly the same. Always carry one eventhough I know I won't need them. Snorkel is for in case something happen. You never know when you're going to need them.

Always. Originally i ditched it after cert but after a one or two long surgey surface swims back to shore/boat I changed my mind. Now I always have it. I like using it to check out my surounding while waiting for my buddy before the dive, surface swims, waiting in line to get back on the boat... Like the saying goes: I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom