Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TABLE OF USEFUL METRIC CONVERSIONS

1 trillion microphones = 1 megaphone
2000 mockingbirds = two kilomockingbirds
10 cards = 1 decacards
1 millionth of a fish = 1 microfiche
453.6 graham crackers = 1 pound cake
1 trillion pins = 1 terrapin
10 rations = 1 decoration
100 rations = 1 C-ration
10 millipedes = 1 centipede
3 1/3 tridents = 1 decadent
2 monograms = 1 diagram

8 nickels = 2 paradigms
2 wharves = 1 paradox

I have a hunch they're really in favor of the metric system though, or they completely refuse to take themselves seriously. That's fine with me either way:)

Imperial - because I am a capitalist pig USA born So Cal guy, and soccer sucks.

In grade school in the 60's and 70's they tried to foist this metric crap on us. I rememebr all of the "think metric" euro propaganda we all got throughout school. I ran the mile, thank you. I buy gas by the gallon.

As I was learning to drive, they were adding moronic metric plates to tens of thousands of freeway signs...God only knows how much that cost the Tax payers.

Even my truck has Kph in little numbers on the speedo.

Please.

Walter, you rock.

I was going to comment on that one:

Imperial - because I am a capitalist pig USA born So Cal guy, and soccer sucks

But then, with an argument like that, how can I? Nice picture, though.:eek:ut:

Cheezewhiz,

Of course they are there to measure distance. Darn you got it the first time.

Actually, taxis charge you in 1/6th of a mile increment. The City of Newport News had to have a way to determine that the taxis were measuring the distance correctly. So, they surveyed this one mile piece of road in 1/6th of a mile sections so they can certify the taxis meters.

Now, why do taxis charge you in 1/6th of a mile increment? Beats the heck out of me.

I started on the Imperial system in the 70's.
I'm in Canada.
Most of our gear and materials are imported through the USA (imperial).

So I'm still imperial.

Mike D
:blfish:

IMO the metric (SI) system is easier to manipulate than the imperial (USCS) system. Therefore it's much easier for those of us who learned the USCS system first, to use the SI as a second system, then the other way around.

Those of us in technical fields were forced to learn both so could care less which we use but using both, opens another door for possible errors. Didn't we have a satellite or something recently, that basically didn't work because of a improper units conversion?
:bonk:

Oh, and by the way, the US is a metric nation. There just isn't a fascist law on the books forcing businesses to sell their products according to the metric system.

brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom