Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry once bubbled...
One day we will rid the world of the hated Imperial dominance. But not in my life time ( metric is much easier tho )
:eek:ut:

Coudn't agree more Cherry. I learned metric all throughout school. Graduated - thank you very much, only to find every engineer and architect in the US and Canada still uses imperial and will never switch to metric until the day they go to greener pastures, only to find heaven is indeed using the METRIC system.

I remember my folks complaining about the metric system - mom didn't know how much milk to buy (what the hells this litre? - where's the big jug?), but metric is much simpler to use than imperial.....

SS

Just about 10 miles from where I am sitting, there are some markers on Jamestown Rd. Those markers are in 1/6th mile increments. So, there is a 1/6 mile marker, a 2/6 mile marker, a 3/6 mile marker, etc, etc.

I know why they are there, do you?

Isn't the metric unit for Pressure the Pascal (1 n/m^2)?

By the way, you are all aware that it doesn't really matter which system you use, as long as you don't try to switch when you are really narced (I am only at 40 feet; I can go deeper.).

brandon

Walter once bubbled...
Aquamaniac,

No need to apologize to me, especially since it's the type of thing I would do. I would like to point out that James Coburn died recently and I'm sure that had something to do with my thought process.

metridium,

No need to explain. I understood the irony immediately. I also appreciate the humor, it's just not a pun.

Sorry Walter it wasn't ironic. It was a pun.

By the way, have you met Rick?

Fred

18 oz. is 2 more than a pint? Except in the UK, where it's 2 less than a pint. But then again, I think UK ounces are a different size from US ounces. That should be clear as mud...

DennisW - in reply to your query, the 1/6-mile markers are obviously there to mark distance. :wink:

Pun the humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest different meaning or applications or of words having the same or nearly the same sound, but different meanings.

Inch vb to advance or to retire by small degrees: to move slowly or in little increments <~ing along......>

from Webster's Third New International Dictionary

Inching is used as defined, therefore no pun.

PUN - A play on words ... on different senses of the same word

INCH - A unit of length in the ... Imperial system; To move by small degrees

This may take the FL and the US supreme court to resolve.

Excellent

Although the metric system is slowly creeping into US culture, we have stood up to the French more than most other nations. Even though our monetary system is decimal and many stuffy old scientists may prefer the grams and meters, the US luckily retains her independence from the invasive French metric system.

I didn't know we were at war :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom