Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albion once bubbled...
to read in days and chains

Now all i need to do is work out the PADI pressure group after diving at 1.45 Chains for 0.0208 of a day

Kidding ok, please dont work it out

Sorry... the temptation was... too... hard... to... resist...

Assuming you mean the Gunter's chain, you are past the no-deco limits according to the RDP. This happened at 0.0138 of a day.

However, if you limited your dive to 1.212 chains, you would be able to stay down for 0.0208 of a day and not exceed the NDL.

I guess I'm one of those ugly American's that, even after living (and diving) in Japan for over 3 years just refused to learn the metric system. But, it actually worked for me since at 60 kilometers/hour, I thougt I was speed demon...until I came back to the states and realized just how slow I was used to driving!

Do you know that the butchers and greengrocers have been prosecuted and fined for selling produce "by the pound" in the UK
It has to be kilos.
But then horse racing is measured in furlongs, football, sorry soccer is in yards, and the greatest one of all ... money is measured in Pounds and not Euros!!!! (sorry, political there)

KrisB once bubbled...
However, if you limited your dive to 1.212 chains, you would be able to stay down for 0.0208 of a day and not exceed the NDL.

Forgot to answer the question. Of course, there would be a required safety stop in there, following the dive, assuming it is your first of the day, you'd be at PG 'R' on the PADI RDP.

Knavey.......

And you should probably try a little harder to interpret what is humor, and what is not...

Uhmmmm, sound like you need to do the same budd!!! You know, the rounded nuts thing :wink:

But Uhmm, I expect that attutude from a super power :wacko:

And uhm, I would love to become the 51st state............all I need is money exchanged at par, and you'd have my vote :D

Damn that'd be sweet!!!

Arnaud once bubbled...

Yes, but one is simple and logical, the other one, well... Have you looked at the conversion formula? A 1°C difference is always 1°C. The same is not true for 1°F...

HUH?!?! when does a 1°F difference change?

On top of it, if you need a measurement that has to be more precise than +/- 1°C, you probablly need to switch to another unit (kelvin or rankine).

Actually Kelvin and Celsius have the same precision. Rankine and Fahrenheit have the same precision, which has 9/5 times the accuracy with the same decimal places. [+/- 1°C = (9/5)+/- 1°F]

When dealing with measurements involving temperature ratios (ie gas law) or powers of temperature (ie radiation heat transfer) it is much easier to use absolute temperature scales, ie Rankine and Kelvin. Otherwise you end up with equations like

[(39F-(-459F)]/[55F-(-459F)]

to get a ratio of absolute temperatures, as opposed to

498R/514R.

Similarly, you have

[15C-(-273C)]/[20C-(-273C)]

vs

(288K/293K)

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Maybe I've missed it in 12 or 13 pages of uselessness, but are the Americans the only one that are yet to realize that they are almost the only ones that are not Metric yet??
Yes, you missed it.
You missed an earlier post dropping the same red herring, and you missed my response, which still stands.
Here 'tis again:

Who's adopted what?

Arnaud once bubbled...
A lot of my American friends seem to have a problem understanding that the rest of the world has adopted the metric system.

Au contraire, mon ami...
The entire world of aviation, even the French, uses imperial measurements... and English! Altitude in feet, speed in Knots... the French F8's even measured fuel in pounds.
How many degrees in a metric circle? Seconds in a metric minute? Hours in a metric day? Meters in a degree of latitude? Fathoms in a kilometer?
Besides, diving to a depth of 130 feet is much more impressive than a mere 40 meters.
E.

The FRENCH!!!

Hahhah

The FRENCH don't count!!!!

tehehehe

Easy boys, tone it down, it's measurements for pete sake!!!

You guys have lost your focus!

You'd think I just called your Mama a fat ***** or something.

Geeesh, give a guy an inch, and he takes a kilometer!

Besides, if I told you to go and "Kilogram some sand" it wouldn't have the same effect.

adder70 once bubbled...

Actually Kelvin and Celsius have the same precision. Rankine and Fahrenheit have the same precision, which has 9/5 times the accuracy with the same decimal places. [+/- 1°C = (9/5)+/- 1°F]

you mean the Kelvin and the Celsius have the same accuracy and the Rankine and Fahrenheit have the same accuracy .

precision and accuracy are two different things :) they are mixed up all the time :wacko: :D

What units shall I measure this pressure in my head that is signaling it is going to explode?

Metric, Imperial, Aspirin...? What are the UNITS!!!????!!!

Argh!

Back
Top Bottom