Are you helpless without fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few operators I dove with had requested that you hand up your fins, but the way I was trained is most comfortable to me and I've never seen an operator push the issue if I keep my fins on my wrist. Mainly, they're just concerned with not having people try to climb the ladder with fins on when the ladder is not designed for it (And I've never had the misfortune of climbing a ladder designed for it)

If my fin straps are around my wrist, I always have them handy but out of the way. If I lose my grip on the boat, I can just slip them back on. Not so easy if my fins are already on the boat.

Even in relatively rough water, I don't have a problem with them 'slapping around'. If I'm worried about it, I further loosen the straps while I'm still in the water and shove them further up my arms. Any conditions where my fins *might* 'slap around' are just more justification for me to keep them with me in case I come off the ladder.

What we need is an elevator!

Some of the British tech diving boats have them! It's a real fantasy of mine, to swim onto a platform with doubles, deco bottle and scooter, and just have THEM lift me to the deck :)

I just finished re-reading this thread and have realized that there are no absolutes regarding getting back on a boat other than getting out safely.

Each one of us feel like we have the right answer for our diving style. A unique style that fits our local or favorite dive spots and boat ladder (or elevator!) configurations.

The bottom line is that most of us are not helpless without our fins but would much rather have them on than not.

Teamcasa:
I just finished re-reading this thread and have realized that there are no absolutes regarding getting back on a boat other than getting out safely.

I agree, there are damned few absolutes anywhere in life.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, first thing I hand up (after my camera when I have it with me) is my weight belt.

Most operators in Hawaii are unhappy if a guest touches live coral with a finger; no way we are going to let able bodied customers take off weights while still in the water. :shocked2:

10 year old girls manage to climb the ladder with gear on (sans fin)! Man up! :idk:

haleman&#333:
Most operators in Hawaii are unhappy if a guest touches live coral with a finger; no way we are going to let able bodied customers take off weights while still in the water.

Please enlighten me. How are those related?

Fear of dropping. I've not been out with many operators here, but I got no grief with my wanting to take my tank and belt off and hang them on a line.

Besides, I can remember having to climb a Jacob's ladder up out of the water north of Iceland, up and over the rail about 12 feet off the water. As I came to the top (with my fins on my wrists) my assistant hove into view and said, "What is your name, what is your quest, what is your favorite color?" The next thing I knew I was flying through the air and went spat back into the ocean. I was glad I had my fins.:D

Too funny Thal!

Any dive that combines cold water, a Jacob's ladder, and Monty Python qualifies as an "extreme exposure" (hazardous dive conditions combined with British humor :D ).

That'll teach ya' for forgetting your favorite color (for those confused, go rent Monty Python's "Holy Grail" :wink: ).

Best wishes.

er ... favorite colour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom