• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh!!! I almost forgot... "they have them, you can't keep them from them. You don't need a gun until you need a gun, if you have no use for a gun, then you won't be able to use a gun if you have gun and need a gun. I would suspect that most people that have been "gunned down" because they had no use for a gun or thought they did not need a gun because they thought they had a cop at their side! Now I'm dizzy!

Most robberies are based on surprise. You're putting groceries in the car, turn around and there is a pistol in your face and a guy demanding your money. What are you going to do, slap his gun away and do a quick draw, not likely. Shoot him in the back when he walks away, you'll probably end up being the one in prison.

In that case, slapping his gun away, then taking it from him, and using it yourself, would be a wiser move than leaving it in his control, and going for your own. Surprise works both ways. IJS.

Yup, no robber would ever think that someone was going to panic and try to grab his gun. He'd probably make sure his finger was off the trigger, just in case, for safety reasons.

Wait a minute, I thought we were talking about spearguns! Of course I carry a loaded weapon in public just in case the aliens from Mars land. I mean we have to defend ourselves right?
There's also the chance that the dolphins will get up the gumption, learn to walk, and take over the world, and I have to defend myself...although Watson may get pissed off at that and throw urine on me!
Get Wet!

Not exactly neutrally phrased is it?

I didn't see a "Guns are dangerous and shouldn't be kept by private citizens" or "Guns are dangerous and should only be issued in accordance with strict licensing requirements" options.

But if my experience of SB is anything to go by, anyone raising the gun issue is looking for a fight rather than a discussion.

I agree... there are many people that should not be allowed to have guns - I'm just not one of them... :D

Yup, no robber would ever think that someone was going to panic and try to grab his gun. He'd probably make sure his finger was off the trigger, just in case, for safety reasons.

You never met my Zen Do Ki instructor, i see. Not matter how I approached him, the gun was his before I had a chance to react. Even knowing what was about to happen, I never once was able to prevent it. Even my finger on the trigger never made a dambitofdifference!

Decided after those lessons that guns were lots better for simply shooting someone from a decent distance, than they are for close in threats! A couple feet away, they are a serious threat, touching my body anywhere, chances are the gun will be mine.

Wait a minute, I thought we were talking about spearguns! Of course I carry a loaded weapon in public just in case the aliens from Mars land. I mean we have to defend ourselves right?
There's also the chance that the dolphins will get up the gumption, learn to walk, and take over the world, and I have to defend myself...although Watson may get pissed off at that and throw urine on me!
Get Wet!
Ahhh....ignorant one, you have totally missed the REAL threat. Zombies. They move slow but have the advantage of large numbers and you need head shots to stop them. A very serious threat on all the internet gun boards.

You never met my Zen Do Ki instructor, i see. Not matter how I approached him, the gun was his before I had a chance to react. Even knowing what was about to happen, I never once was able to prevent it. Even my finger on the trigger never made a dambitofdifference!

Decided after those lessons that guns were lots better for simply shooting someone from a decent distance, than they are for close in threats! A couple feet away, they are a serious threat, touching my body anywhere, chances are the gun will be mine.
There are some very efficient techniques that can be used to disarm an asailant with a weapon at close range - but they require instruction, practice and confidence as they have to be executed with extreme speed, surprise and precision. Personally, I am not at that level of confidence so it is very much a last ditch option to blunt an attack that is going to happen and where I have nothing to lose. But the point is that at close range, my focus is going to be on controlling and redirecting his weapon in a safe direction while I do enough damage to him to allow me to take his weapon away. In that situation my weapon would stay put as I just won't have the time to get it out.

You are 100% correct regarding the enagement ranges. If you are going to be attacked, for most people to effectively draw the gun from concealed carry, they are going to need a minimum of about 30 ft of distance and or some delay or warning of the assault.

LEO's even with open carry and facing the attacker will, 90% of the time, not be able to draw their weapon in time to stop a knife wielding opponent starting from 20' away. And most body armor is not rated against knife attacks, so they are at grave risk. For someone in concealed carry, you'll need even more time and in deep conceealed carry you are a non-starter in the race so don't even try it.

Tactically, with the lead time and distances required the problem is first identifying an assailant as a threat at 30 plus feet and then second, proving it after you shot him. He better really have been armed and you better have witnesses who saw him charging at you and really presenting a threat of death or serious bodily harm. Remember that even LEO's get this wrong in about 20% of the shoots that occur.

That limits the range of realistic self defense to home defense situations or situations outside the home where the intent of the assailant may be something other than to immediately kill anyone, building in the neccesary delay or opportunity to draw a pistol from concealed carry. This is going to shake out along the lines of 1) being in the convenience store when it is robbed, 2) perhaps being mugged and then having the assailant decide to escalate to violence, sexual assault, etc, or 3) perhaps being a bystander who witnesses such an event become life threatening. In the first scenario, you would essentially wait and assess the threat, use available cover and concelament etc, but probbaly not act unless it appeared the assailants were going to do serious harm to someone. Similarly, in the mugging, let them have the wallet and reserve any use of deadly force until there is an actual threat of physical harm that warrants it. In the last scenario, be sure you know the laws in your state surrounding use of deadly force in the defense of others.

What it offers you are a few more options in the abscence of police officers who are minutes away at best, but it is not a cure all and it requires sound judgement both at the time and preferrably before the situation arises so that you avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time in the first place. The ideal way to use a concelaed handgun is to act prudently so you never have to use it.

If someone thinks they are going to go around with a concealed handgun and be invincible from all threats or will be exhonorated in shooting an unarmed or underarmed mugger, they are going to either be sadly mistaken and possibly dead or in some states get to become good freinds with a cell mate. The use of sound judgment is paramount and qualifying for a CCW permit does not always mean the person has the judgment use it effectively.

That is the basis of many people's objection to them, and idiots who walk around with Rambo, Dirty Harry or "break into my house and find out" attitudes tend to piss me off as they risk MY ability to have a CCW as they're stupidity potentially infringes on my right to responsible self defense.

Very well put.
I would have to agree with almost every word of what you say, DA A. The one problem I see, is that so many of the people you have described in your last sentence, are the same ones that already carry, and dam the laws that say they can't.

A loaded weapon pointed at the back of his head and this guy was able to move faster than you could pull the trigger?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom