Are you all over it? Lurkers, posters, viewers - everyone pls comment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm talking about our photography themes. Every theme seems to get 100s of views but less than 20 posts!

Should we stop them?

Do you have more suggestions (which btw you can put here)

Do we need to do things differently and if so, how/what?

Let's here what you are thinking!

Um.... no comment?

Ken

I like them, I am a lurker and not a poster as, well, I have not had anything really worth posting there

I like them, but a lot of times I don't see them until it's too late. Maybe there is a way to promote them differently.

Not all divers are photographers --so I would think 20 contributions for each on average is pretty good.

Jeff

I'm not a photographer, but I love the threads where the talented photographers post their pictures. It seems as though we have been in a bit of the doldrums recently -- I haven't seen much from DiverDennis, or Gilligan, or debersole, or some of the other people whose work I specifically look for. Maybe the themes aren't getting a lot of pictures because some of our photographer members are elsewhere? Maybe people are intimidated about posting because we have such amazingly talented people putting up pictures?

Lots to see, but too many sensitive experts to even begin to post an educated comment without getting flamed, but keep up the good work.

Thanks for the replies so far! They are very helpful :)

re getting flamed &
Maybe people are intimidated about posting because we have such amazingly talented people putting up pictures
- the themes are a "safe" place to post as no critique is allowed. It's all about having fun, sharing some images and just being part of a community. They don't have to be perfect photos, just anything that fits the theme! Disposables, point & shoots, compacts, dslrs - doesn't matter what you shoot with, just hop in :)

One nice thing about the concept of the themes is that you don't have to have a whole thread for your image or images and you don't have to deal with someone offering help/advice that you don't actually want. They are also supposed to give newer photographers (and might I suggest even experienced photographers) some ideas of things to try or look out for on their next dives.

It's great that we do have quite a few photographers with excellent photos to share, but it's also important to remember that a) everyone started somewhere and the best way to get better is to get out there and do it and b) there are a lot of people out there having a ball with their cameras underwater and ScubaBoard LOVES to see you share with other divers. You don't have to get published or be a super diver or photographer to share with us, you just have to have a camera :)

re
too many sensitive experts to even begin to post an educated comment without getting flamed
- no where on the UW photo area should people feel threatened or flamed by other posters about an image (or anything else, for that matter!) If you see it happening please hit the report post button or pm me directly. This is meant to be FUN :)

Outside of the stickied theme, if you do not want critique or suggestions, simply add [SHARE] to your subject line or add a line in your post that lets people know you just want to show some shots from your dives and you aren't really wanting ideas on what you did wrong/how to improve next time.

Maybe there is a way to promote them differently.
Ideas?

Not all divers are photographers --so I would think 20 contributions for each on average is pretty good.
Very true indeed! But with as active as the UW photo area is and as many members as we have, I think 20 is still pretty low. And that's why we're asking - how can we help get more people involved?

Keep the ideas and votes coming!

Many thanks for the timely "reminder" of the spirit of Themes, alcina!
Guess everyone likes to share the better ones. ;-) I am sometimes (many times) too lazy to "dig" out the photos (because they are not tagged properly :p) & it is really easier to hawk at the good ones already out there. :p But I really do enjoy the Themes! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom