Are you a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was only snubbed once. Iwas only 12, and one of the experienced divers on the boat really took some pretty unfair swipes at a kid. I remember thinking that no matter how good I ever became at anything, I would try never to be quite so big a pr1ck as he was when talking to a rookie. I hope that I have managed to stick to that, and I try to only offer advice/comments/suggestions when asked.

1. When I first started diving (a few years ago), I was encouraged to join this group called "DiveVets" in SoCal....

Yah. You know, I've met maybe 20 of that group, and probably 10 of them are people I'd rather not be around. Small sampling, but terrible ratio. It's sad; there are some really nice people in their group.

FWIW, they always tend to park in the main lot and dive off the southern stairs.

Our group (including Nicole who organized the Laguna thing you're going to) tends to park in the lower 'lot' and dive in the 'salad bowl' which is off the northern stairs.

At least a few people tend to go out on Thursday nights. You're more than welcome to join with me if I'm there.

OK, this isn't a full list as I just don't remember like I did but
Encore, Charisma and I know one of them is the Great Escape now, Spectre, Liberty, Peace, Scuba Luvr, Truth, Conception, Mr C, Magician, Horizon, Pacific Star which was under another name years back and I can't think of it now and of course my Father in laws boat which had no name but it was a retired harbor patrol and tow boat in Ventura harbor. That's where I got a liking for being on my own boat and doing my own thing, I dove two tons off that boat.
Encore is now a fishing boat in San Diego, the Charisma is the Great Escape and the Pacific Star was the Bold Contender.

...and the Pacific Star was the Bold Contender.

And last I saw her, she was down in San Diego (same spot as Lois Anne), not King Harbor.

Too bad. I liked that boat.

I was on the Bold Contender years back at Window Pane/ San Clemente when two sea doo's approached us in need of 2 stroke fuel. Needless to say there was none aboard so they asked where the nearest marine fuel dock was and Catalina was the answer. One of the two wore a dive style compass and that was there Nav unit so they had missed Catalina completely. The skipper offered to boat the two Sea Doos and return them to Long Beach at days end, they refused assistance noting they could find fuel easily. The skipper notified the commanding officer of the island via radio and I'm sure they were met soon by a different colored vessel.
I enjoyed that boat as well.

You were in Redondo, at Veterans Park I would imagine? My wife did her cert classes there as well as my youngest son. There have been riff-raff types spotted there from time to time..... LOL

Yeah, Veteran's park. That be the place. I literally have not gone back there since I felt driven out by the rude-sters. I still feel traumatized. :wink:

Yah. You know, I've met maybe 20 of that group, and probably 10 of them are people I'd rather not be around. Small sampling, but terrible ratio. It's sad; there are some really nice people in their group.

FWIW, they always tend to park in the main lot and dive off the southern stairs.

Our group (including Nicole who organized the Laguna thing you're going to) tends to park in the lower 'lot' and dive in the 'salad bowl' which is off the northern stairs.

At least a few people tend to go out on Thursday nights. You're more than welcome to join with me if I'm there.

I still talk (and dive) with a few of the people I met through them (some of whom dropped out at the same time I did, because of how horrid they were to me), but never at Vets. And I just ran into another one on a dive boat whom I hadn't seen since I left that group. He was not one of the offenders, and we ended up diving together. Really great guy. So it's definitely not all of them...but the ones who were mean to me were truly vicious - they acted like a bunch of highschool bullies ganging up on the new kid. It almost made me quit diving. I never want to see any of them again.

I didn't realize that you guys go to Vets! I would love to head over there for a Thursday night dive (you couldn't pay me enough to go there on a Wednesday).

Can I tell you how excited I am about the upcoming Laguna event? You are all completely changing my mind about the whole DIR thing. :) If y'all keep this up, you might have yerself a convert soon.

Anyway, back to the topic...I had another thought on the "have I been a snob"? question. I think I probably HAVE acted a bit snobby a couple times, when I've done advanced dives that beginner divers shouldn't have signed up for. Example: I did the Blue Hole in Belize, which is a bounce dive to 130 and really shouldn't be done by beginners. Well, sure 'nuff, the boat had several beginners on it - which I realize is the fault of the dive op, but I was told later that the divers overstated their skills and number of dives so they could do the famous Blue Hole. As it turned out, a couple of them panicked at depth, another one started flailing near me and almost kicked my mask off, forcing me to drop down beneath 130 to avoid her, which ended up screwing up my profile so that my computer showed an 8 minute deco obligation at the end of the dive, which really pissed off the DM's (maybe they shouldn't have brought beginners with less than 10 dives down to 130 fsw!). I was probably a bit cold to the newbies on the boat afterwards...because I was ticked.

A similar thing happened at the Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa. The dive was clearly listed as an advanced dive, but several people signed up for it who were newly certified, and, again, overstated their experience so they could do the famous pass. Sure 'nuff a couple of them couldn't even remain at depth, doing uncontrolled ascents in the pass, with the potential of boats hitting them, which messed up the dive for the rest of us as the DMs had to divert all their attention to dealing with them. These are once-in-a-lifetime dives, and I just think it's really inconsiderate for new divers to lie about their experience level to do an advanced dive with a group, thereby screwing it up for the rest of us. I'm sure I snubbed them too. And rightfully so, if you ask me! :shakehead:

In my zeal to promote diving have I become so focused on my own dive goals that I have excluded my wife and friends? They feel like I have. So regardless of intention it has been perceived as such.

CamG notes it's been a 'serious issue.' Reading over the original post, I didn't see anything jump out as snobbish, yet a number of people who know him personally have this perception, I take it. Ergo...something's missing. It'd be interesting to know how his post would read if his wife & friends had written it instead of him.

I'm too far down on the totem pole for much snobbery; from where I sit, if I look down my nose, I can't hardly see anybody.

Now, if you want some ideas about what might come across as snobbery, even if it shouldn't be, here are some thoughts:

1.) It's natural to show enthusiastic preoccupation with wonderful, exciting things you are getting to do. Tech diving will open vistas to you to do such things. It's natural for those who don't get to do them to feel excluded. It's easy to inadvertently offend those types regaling them with your exploits or experiences.

It's a lot like being perceived as 'flaunting your wealth.' If you're quite wealthy, yet hang out with several friends of far lesser means, you kind of learn to keep a lower 'wealth profile,' maybe downplay it a bit. Your laid off buddy on unemployment does not need to see your new Rolex, or listen to you agonize over whether to buy a Corvette or a Porsche.

Similarly, if anytime you guys see something on a Rec. dive you proceed to mention something bigger and better from a Tech. dive, that could grate on someone's nerves.

2.) If you pass on rec. dives that seem unchallenging or 'old hat, been there, done that' to you, and so don't want to do the dives they can do. This is more apt to be an issue with a wife. Your buddies may accept that you've moved on to some diving that isn't their thing. But your wife, especially if you're nearly the only person she dives with, well, those pretty wives like to be included. Some do, anyway.

3.) As others alluded to, giving unsolicited advice, or just going on about how you've been taught to do something and why when nobody asked (say, if you've just come out of GUE Fundamentals and you're real excited about it), can come across as conceited even when the only real intent is to share something of value (practical knowledge) & let people know about other opportunities.

People vary widely in how apt they are to judge snobbery. Some people are quick to feel slighted.

I'd still like to hear what the wife & friends have to say about why they perceived the OP as a snob. I didn't see anything in his version that would've made me think that.

Richard.

HAVE YOU FELT SNUBBED BEFORE? Not by actual divers diving, but by Dive Shop Staff when I wanted to buy something. The internet doesn't care I'm a female.

IF SO WHY? AND WAS IT FAIR OR NOT? I've always been treated fairly and with respect, I have been 1 of 2 non-dir technical divers on a charter boat, charted by a friend, all the other divers were awesome for that week, they respected the fact that I respected my own limits. We were all there to dive and enjoy the scenery...

WAS IT INTENTIONAL OR NOT? At the LDS, probably chicks don't dive...

I'm not a gear person. My stuff functions for me, your for you. I don't DIR, but also use common sense and take only what I need, have neutral buoyancy, and don't drag my stuff across the bottom.

I'm too far down on the totem pole for much snobbery; from where I sit, if I look down my nose, I can't hardly see anybody.

I have nothing to add...I just wanted to say that I LOVE this line! :D

I like to think it goes back to an old saying that "most" divers have rather large ego's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom