are these tanks worth buying? (old AL80's)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So if I had the chance to buy 2 used "old" AL80's that are all pre 1988 and most likely the 6351 alloy for $10 to $20 bucks each, is it worth buying them?

both need hydro and vis. one is Luxfer and the other Catalina.

so if they are the "older alloy" tanks is it worth hasseling with?

had one that had a crack in the neck,pretty scary to me,whats the price for scrap alum. sticking to steel tanks now

Depends on where you live. Most of the Fla shops refuse to fill them, BS reasons but refuse just the same,the shops here have no problem with them. At $10, get it anyway, high grade AL is going for $0.50-0.75 per LB, worth more in scrap than $10.

I would probably buy them....but I am not sure if I would use the luxfer one or not. Lots of people are starting to dispose of al tanks after 10 years. I don't do that yet but I still wont' fill tanks made of the bad alloy.

Brent

yeah... that was the reason mostly. lots of shops wont' fill them if they are 6351 alloy. They even have signs on the door that state that.

(However even though they have the signs on the door, most of their minimum wage employess don't even bother to check to see if the visual is in date much less the alloy of the aluminum I've noticed.)

I think they would need a Hydro-Plus if they are the 6351 Alloy and you'll still run into shops that won't fill the Pre 88 luxfer tank.

Its a gamble buying old tanks out of hydro, you might be buying scap atleast aluminum is worth more than steel a pound if the tanks fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom