Are there quality differences in finger reels and basic smb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much why I said we take 6' bags when we're offshore as well. Out there, 3' isn't ideal.
Apologies, Rainer, missed that in your post #34. (Actually, no intention of dogging anyone anyway, just making a point - but it appears that we agree that size matters far out in the cold lonely.....)

Regards,

Doc

Thank again for everyone's feedback.
I don't want to risk breaking a plastic reel, so I splurge and bought a Halycon defender.
For my SMB, I'm leaning towards the DSS with a Halycon running close second.

the DSS bag, which is lovely with its tapered design, because it requires very little inflation to be full at the surface, but I don't like the exhaust valve.

TsandM,

What don't you like about the DSS valve? From its photo, it appears the value is made from plastic, but I could be wrong.

Apologies, Rainer, missed that in your post #34. (Actually, no intention of dogging anyone anyway, just making a point - but it appears that we agree that size matters far out in the cold lonely.....)

Regards,

Doc

LOL, no worries.

When far from shore, bigger bags have their place. I just find them a pain to send up in you aren't at 70' or deeper, and I've just grown comfortable sending them up shallower. Probably just a 'practice' issue on my part.

3.3m? Can you define "compact" and "not that much lift"?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, he's talking about the 3.3 feet (not 3.3 meter) high SMB, which has about 6lb of lift (some people can completely inflate it in one breath).

EDIT: Missed Gombessa's post...

The 3.3m comment was a typo. I think Duane mean the 1m (or 3.3') Halcyon SMB. This SMB only provides about 6-8lb of lift. Not enough to really lift anything, but enough to give a little resistance during your hang.

The 6' tubes typically have around 50# of lift. And I've seen an oxycheq (?) 10' bag that probably gave close to 500# lift. Ridiculous, really. You'd almost have to put that in your gas plan.

Tom

In the interest of eliminating potential confusion:

A number of posts have suggested "don't buy plastic spools, buy Delrin spools."

Delrin is a brand specific type of plastic, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least some online vendors are ambiguous in their descriptions. So don't dismiss a product because it is plastic. Rather, look into what kind, and don't expect shop workers to necessarily know.

Depends a lot on where you're diving.

I have the 6' Halcyon SMB. If they had an 8', I'd own it.

On the east coast (specifically from Virginia Beach down to Morehead City/Beaumont, NC) many of the wrecks lie from 60 to 80 miles offshore. You are in international shipping lanes there. Occasionally the currents can get impressive.

Even here in the sound, for the Sampson or the Governor which are in high current areas, in shipping lanes, at 300 feet, with a lot of deco, a larger SMB than 3.3' is probably a good idea. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though...

For the average fundies student, though, the 3.3' is probably most appropriate and what will get the most use...

I was told to practice with the smaller versions, in part so I could easily pull them back down underwater without having to surface every time. As the shampoo bottle says, "Rinse and repeat"...

I think I'll order the DSS 1m bag and the closed circuit 1m H bag and see how I like them.

Is the orange really more visible vs. the yellow?

3.3m? Can you define "compact" and "not that much lift"?

My bad. The kids were distracting me. I meant to say the 1M (3.3 foot) bag. The small bag rolls up nicely and fits in the dry suit pocket. It only has about 10 lbs of lift (maybe less). If you blow enough bags, you'll soon feel if you are pulling the bag back down. So I have two, one for quarry (i.e. no or little waves) and one for bigger waves (our Great Lakes). Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom