Are there quality differences in finger reels and basic smb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a small needle file and file the channel the bolt rides in. Much cheaper than SS. IMO this is a myth about brass snaps. YMMV

I don't think the word myth means what you think it means. Brass bolt snaps suck no matter what you do to them.

I remember something about the finger hole in the stainless steel and aluminum spools are typically larger , so that might be a thought for cold water gloved hands
FWIW, you don't want a metal spool. They are more prone to permanent damage (ever seen one after a set of doubles got dropped on it?), and the buoyancy characteristics are all wrong (too negative). Delrin or something similar is much better choice.

Last edited:
Get a small needle file and file the channel the bolt rides in. Much cheaper than SS. IMO this is a myth about brass snaps. YMMV

We have brass bolt snaps on our primary regs at school -- after a class session or two my right thumb is usually cut up pretty badly.

My mileage did. Many cuts in my fingertips using brass bolt snaps. No cuts using SS. The SS snaps also seem less prone to sticking, particularly after prolonged use (and especially in salt water).

I have a pair of wetgloves with large holes in the thumbs from stainless steel boltsnaps.

I think it depends a lot on the quality of the manufacturing (how well it's de-burred), the spring (how hard do you have to push), and the shape of the knob (the low-profile variety puts your fingers closer to the slot).

I've since changed out all my snaps to the kinds made my National Mfg. I love them (though I lost the spring in one last week).

Hardware and Tools Corp. - Search Results for national bolt snap stainless

That said, I have a brass double ender on a hook in my garage that I hang my hood from, and I cut myself on it more often than not.

FWIW, you don't want a metal spool. They are more prone to permanent damage (ever seen one after a set of doubles got dropped on it?), and the buoyancy characteristics are all wrong (too negative). Delrin or something similar is much better choice.
Thank you, never thought of that ... I have only used a friends alum one .. pink of course :D

Thanks for everyone's feedback and for pointing me in the right direction! I sure hope I can pass the course.

As for the SMB, I'm sold on either DSS or Halycyon - my shop carries both, but I prefer the smaller foot print of the DSS.

Does anyone know if the ones sold by Diverite Express are machined from solid delrin - see link:

Dive Rite Finger Spools

Thanks again,

The last ones I bought from DRE was not Delrin.

Plastic spools will break -- I have already lost one.

Delrin seems much more durable. Somebody makes a Delrin spool where the holes are offset on the two sides, which makes it easier to find the right hole to clip into to keep the line taut without having to haul on it to make the next available hole (not a big issue, but the idea is a good one). But I can't remember which maker it is.

I love the Halcyon SMB. We have had six, I think, from different makers. What I like about the Halcyon is that the inflator valve can be managed with cold, numb lips. It is compatible with inflation from a hose, should one ever want to do that. It has a removable dump valve, so the inside is easily rinsed. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bungie that keeps it wrapped up is very, very stiff and hard to get back around the bag when you roll it up in the water, and is hard to get off the bag. I solved that by putting a little tag of duct tape on the bungie, so I can get a grip on it with cold, dry-gloved hands.

We have had the Zeagle, which took too much air; and another where you have to push on the inflator valve with your teeth to inject air, and the DSS bag, which is lovely with its tapered design, because it requires very little inflation to be full at the surface, but I don't like the exhaust valve.

I rarely want to pay the price premium for Halcyon gear, but their SMB is an exception.

Delrin seems much more durable. Somebody makes a Delrin spool where the holes are offset on the two sides, which makes it easier to find the right hole to clip into to keep the line taut without having to haul on it to make the next available hole (not a big issue, but the idea is a good one). But I can't remember which maker it is.
Agir makes spools with offset holes. :)

s80tom.jpg

I also agree about the smaller Halcyon SMB, it is fantastic. It's the "Goldilocks" of SMBs -- just the right size. For emergency situations a larger SMB would be warranted (6ft+) along with other measures, but as an SMB to use for tracking ascents and having someone follow you on the surface in the decent conditions, the Halcyon SMB works very well.

...the DSS bag, which is lovely with its tapered design, because it requires very little inflation to be full at the surface, but I don't like the exhaust valve.

I rarely want to pay the price premium for Halcyon gear, but their SMB is an exception.

What don't you like about the DSS valve? Haven't used one, so curious. Agree about the H bag. It's very nice (and some of my only H gear).

Plastic spools will break -- I have already lost one.
Very true. My first plastic spool broke the first time it was used (actually it broke on JoeT, but not due to abuse).

I love the Halcyon SMB. We have had six, I think, from different makers. What I like about the Halcyon is that the inflator valve can be managed with cold, numb lips. It is compatible with inflation from a hose, should one ever want to do that. It has a removable dump valve, so the inside is easily rinsed. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bungie that keeps it wrapped up is very, very stiff and hard to get back around the bag when you roll it up in the water, and is hard to get off the bag. I solved that by putting a little tag of duct tape on the bungie, so I can get a grip on it with cold, dry-gloved hands.

Curious as to which one are you talking about? The 1m closed circuit SMB (DAM or whatever H calls them) or the 1.1m "semi closed" version?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom