Are there quality differences in finger reels and basic smb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

/.
  • reflective SOLAS tape is always nice.
  • a d-ring at top to attach a strobe to is good. (D-ring is also good for wrapping SMB around you and clipping it off as a life ring if needed.)
  • some SMB's have a plastic holder at top for a light stick.
Excellent idea for night diving! I never thought about attaching a strobe to a SMB.

[/list]Excellent idea for night diving! I never thought about attaching a strobe to a SMB.

If you are diving DIR of the West coast you will have probably at least a 10 watt HID light or its equivalent, and at least one back up light. You can signal the space station with your HID light. What were you planning on doing with your strobe? If you are diving DIR you will tend to avoid circumstances that lead you to be floating around in the ocean at night looking for a strobe and wrapped up in your SMB..........you don't need solutions for problems if you don't cause the problem.

8) Only get pink line if you want to ask Jeff or Brian out on a Date.............
They would still have to buy dinner.

My Halcyon SMB has a small transparent pouch on the top. It's intended to transmit messages to the surface when doing deco dives, most likely in case of an emergency.

I never thought it would be used for a glow stick, it could easily fall out.

3) Avoid brass bolt snaps. They have a tendency to cut things live fingers and drysuit gloves when they are used and you are cold. There is a reason every other bolt snap, clip, buckle, etc is supposed to be stainless steel.

Get a small needle file and file the channel the bolt rides in. Much cheaper than SS. IMO this is a myth about brass snaps. YMMV

IMO this is a myth about brass snaps. YMMV
My mileage did. Many cuts in my fingertips using brass bolt snaps. No cuts using SS. The SS snaps also seem less prone to sticking, particularly after prolonged use (and especially in salt water).

In regards to the differences in spools that I have seen... the holes are larger on the Halcyon's spools. On the other spools I have seen the holes have been slightly smaller and more of them.

I remember something about the finger hole in the stainless steel and aluminum spools are typically larger , so that might be a thought for cold water gloved hands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom