Are There Other Places in This Hemisphere Like Sunset House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Angel Resort, Cozumel. We have been there 3 years in a row and love it - all rooms ocean front, great staff, great dive op, great food at the restaurant on site.

Just a reply to my own thread: I did go to Cozumel, did stay at and dive with Scuba Club Cozumel, and found it overall perhaps the greatest place I've ever been. Diving was fantastic, five operation A+, and the accommodations were excellent. It was a little less social than Sunset House, but I'd go again in a heartbeat.

That said, I'm looking for a new place to try. I'll be in Miami in late March, and want to try an AI place from there. People have suggested Cobalt Coast for the North end of Grand Cayman. Other suggestions welcome. My filters at the top of the thread still apply.

Just a reply to my own thread: I did go to Cozumel, did stay at and dive with Scuba Club Cozumel, and found it overall perhaps the greatest place I've ever been. Diving was fantastic, five operation A+, and the accommodations were excellent. It was a little less social than Sunset House, but I'd go again in a heartbeat.

That said, I'm looking for a new place to try. I'll be in Miami in late March, and want to try an AI place from there. People have suggested Cobalt Coast for the North end of Grand Cayman. Other suggestions welcome. My filters at the top of the thread still apply.
The vast majority of the dive operators on GC are fantastic, however, there must be a reason why Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point comes out on top in annual polls. I primarily dive with them. Compass Point is a great place to stay. The people cannot be more friendly. Their new restaurant is scheduled to open in April. If you haven't dived the east end, you will be overwhelmed. It's like a different world over there.
You will need a car. Although there is no real shore diving on site, there are dozens of possibilities for world class shore diving within 15 minutes. Elly Wray is the photo pro there. She's amazing!

Last edited:
What would it be like for a solo traveler, releck? I'll be on my own. What I loved about Sunset House was the enjoyable scene, the ease of meeting other divers, and landing in a group of like-minded folks to hang with under and topside. From reading about Compass Point, it seems more solitary.

(Also, how risky is the weather on the East End in late March?)

Based on what you liked about SCC you really should try Cocoview. You dive with the same people on your boat all week. It's a full-AI and a little remote so most people stay there all week. They do offer excursions on Roatan - the West End is worth a look one night for something different. They even shuttle you back and forth from the airport so a car is completely unnecessary - and on Roatan not the best idea anyway. The best shoredive on Roatan is there also. I'm not sure what being solo would mean for accommodations but they do have some single rooms beachfront afaik.

Also look at Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros.

You'd also probably really like a liveaboard. All diving, meals, evening relaxing is done with others in the group. It's actually hard not to be social on one. And you can do 25+ dives on most. As a solo traveler you'll either be buddied up with one other person per cabin or have to pay a solo supplement - often that's your dive buddy for the week also. If they're not full, you may get your own room - happened to my buddy twice. We're still in contact with several people we've met over the years and plan to dive with them again if possible.

What would it be like for a solo traveler, releck? I'll be on my own. What I loved about Sunset House was the enjoyable scene, the ease of meeting other divers, and landing in a group of like-minded folks to hang with under and topside. From reading about Compass Point, it seems more solitary.

(Also, how risky is the weather on the East End in late March?)
The scene is quite enjoyable, it's very easy to meet new divers and you will be with like-minded people. I believe that the units have kitchens. There is a weekly party/bbq on the pool deck. Having said that, you are quite removed from civilization (very different than SH), however, with the new Eagle Rays Restaurant/Bar opening up on site soon along with Morritt's and the Reef 5 minutes away, there is a "scene" of some sort on the east end. The diving on the east end is SO much better than the west side. I dive East End every February. The winds do come from the east during the winter months, however, they usually have a north or south tilt to them allowing for calmer seas in one direction. The diving is just as spectacular north as it is south. Ocean Frontiers rarely gets blown out. You're getting a world of suggestions in replies to your OP's. Go with what feels right. I solo dive often and never feel "weird". Enjoy!

Great suggestions all! One of the friends I made at Sunset House also has raved about Cocoview. The only one I'm not crazy about is Small Hope Bay Lodge. Went there 20-25 years ago with my wife and it was very fished out and the reefs were bleached. Enjoyably funky otherwise. (I'd love to do a liveaboard, but I can't wrap my mind around rooming with a stranger at my advanced age; the incompatibility risks seem too high, especially when vacation time is so scarce. And the single supplements are just top high. I'm willing to try to be talked out of this bias, though.)

The suggestions I've received so far that I intend to reflect on are:

1. Cocoview, Roatan
2. Buddy Dive, Bonaire
3. Little Cayman Beach Resort, Little Cayman
4. Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point, Grand Cayman
5. Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman

Thanks, team. More to come.

The scene is quite enjoyable, it's very easy to meet new divers and you will be with like-minded people. I believe that the units have kitchens. There is a weekly party/bbq on the pool deck. Having said that, you are quite removed from civilization (very different than SH), however, with the new Eagle Rays Restaurant/Bar opening up on site soon along with Morritt's and the Reef 5 minutes away, there is a "scene" of some sort on the east end. The diving on the east end is SO much better than the west side. I dive East End every February. The winds do come from the east during the winter months, however, they usually have a north or south tilt to them allowing for calmer seas in one direction. The diving is just as spectacular north as it is south. Ocean Frontiers rarely gets blown out. You're getting a world of suggestions in replies to your OP's. Go with what feels right. I solo dive often and never feel "weird". Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom