Are there dive shops in Cozumel that will accommodate shallower dives tailored towards beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am planning on hiring a private guide because I am a beginner, but I understand that most dive shops will go to 80 ft for their first dive. If I am more comfortable around 40 - 50 ft are there certain dive shops you would recommend? Or as long as I hire a private guide do you think I should be good with any dive shop? Thanks!

Your best bet is to find a dive op with multiple boats and DMs, and lots of divers. That way if the OP you choose segregates boats according to skill and interest then there is a better chance to find one that can meet your needs without a private charter. On the other hand, with that same operator hire a private DM for your first day. Even the most deep sites can be enjoyed at 4-50 feet at the top of the coral heads.

Dave Dillehay

Your best bet is to find a dive op with multiple boats and DMs
I agree with Dave from a big picture but many of the smaller dive ops can easily accommodate beginners and advanced divers on the same smaller boat(s). Many dive ops use 1 DM per 4 divers but have additional DM’s available if requested. So you can go with any group but still dive a comfortable profile with a private guide if you wish.
Most reefs in Coz are fairly deep at 60-80 feet (or more) but are enjoyable at shallower depths. You’ll probably find yourself diving deeper than you expected (& feeling comfortable) just because you’ll go with the flow of the reef topology.

Maple Leaf scuba told me today that I'll be grouped with people of similar experience/depth limit, and no more than 4 paying divers on a boat. (I'm here getting my OW)

I think that you'll find, after doing more diving, is that the difference, in safety, between 40' or 50' and 70' or 80' isn't all that significant. If you do want to stay shallow, many dive ops offer afternoon dives that are often not as deep as their morning ones. Hiring a private DM is an excellent decision and you can tell your DM, if you wish, to stay above 50' and they will 100% accommodate you. Sharky's is a great option as they will provide all the gear you need (minus a computer) for free. Walter (or favorite DM at Sharky's) taught my novice 12 year old daughter to dive. I was so overcome with emotion that I hugged him, mid water column, and I must have had a very bad mask leak as I couldn't see much 😉.

There are many sites on Cozumel that are suitable for divers of all skill levels. Check out this web site The 15 Best Dive Sites In Cozumel For The Best Mexico Diving

Go for some of the shallower sites to gain experience and advance your skills. When you are comfortable and confidant, try some of Cozumel's deeper walls. They have enormous coral heads with massive swim throughs. They are fabulous drift dives! Enjoy.

There are many sites on Cozumel that are suitable for divers of all skill levels. Check out this web site The 15 Best Dive Sites In Cozumel For The Best Mexico Diving

Go for some of the shallower sites to gain experience and advance your skills. When you are comfortable and confidant, try some of Cozumel's deeper walls. They have enormous coral heads with massive swim throughs. They are fabulous drift dives! Enjoy.
While that is true, dive boats are not taxis. Unless you charter a boat for yourselves or happen to be the only divers you can't just climb aboard and direct the boat to take you to a particular dive site; the preferences of the other divers aboard are considered as well. That said, there are ways to accomplish what the OP is requesting; the most reliable way is to hire a personal DM to accompany the novice divers. Most of the reefs have shallow sections where they can dive without having to stay with a group that wants to dive deeper.

Yes, certainly ggunn is correct. Explain your needs before you book and pay. Hire a personal DM if necessary. Enjoy your trip!

Hi, I am planning on hiring a private guide because I am a beginner, but I understand that most dive shops will go to 80 ft for their first dive. If I am more comfortable around 40 - 50 ft are there certain dive shops you would recommend? Or as long as I hire a private guide do you think I should be good with any dive shop? Thanks!
I highly recommend Aldora but there are many other qualified outfits that can help you. Hiring a private DM is a great way to go. We did this for my 13 year old son in May as it was his first open water dive experience following his certification and I am so glad we did.

I think that you'll find, after doing more diving, is that the difference, in safety, between 40' or 50' and 70' or 80' isn't all that significant. If you do want to stay shallow, many dive ops offer afternoon dives that are often not as deep as their morning ones. Hiring a private DM is an excellent decision and you can tell your DM, if you wish, to stay above 50' and they will 100% accommodate you. Sharky's is a great option as they will provide all the gear you need (minus a computer) for free. Walter (or favorite DM at Sharky's) taught my novice 12 year old daughter to dive. I was so overcome with emotion that I hugged him, mid water column, and I must have had a very bad mask leak as I couldn't see much 😉.
We took our first dives in Cozumel after OW class in San Diego. They took us to 78' on our 3rd dive, neither kid even knew they had been that deep. 78' is still inside a safe zone, assuming the currents aren't crazy that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom