Are there any wildlife that actually want to harm us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On one of my dives in Grand Cayman this year, this guy had caught a lionfish and put it in the tube. As he raised the tube the lionfish darted out and went right at him. First time I'd seen a lion fish swim so fast for a long period of time. The guy was moving pretty fast also. I got video of it also.

PICT0066.jpg

I stand corrected. These are other good examples of smaller things that can do serious harm. As can textile and other cone shells (I would devise a method of collecting these that would prevent a sting if I dived where they live). You can't see the tiny iricongi and they are more deadly than Blue Ring. But, for such things as scorpionfish, you can see them I gather and should try not to bump into them. I'd still rather see one of these and swim the other way than be around any biggies, but that's just me.
I've (barely) seen some pretty damn well camouflaged scorpionfish and the stonefish Ive often had problems seeing even if they are pointed out to me. Helped once I figured I should just look for the grumpy muth rather than the fish itself :p

Richard, apparently orca feeding habits are a learned behaviour with the young learning from the older members of the pod. There are regional variations in feeding - those in New Zealand are known for feeding on rays. They have been seen chasing stingrays in the shallows of our harbours (although Steve was the first to film it in water - he has other footage of how they do this but I cannot find it right now). There have been clips played on the 6pm news showing orca chasing rays in Auckland harbour (our largest city) with the rays leaping from the water in desperation. Apparently rays are orca candy ...

I have discussed the footage of orca playing with the anchor rope (2nd clip I posted) and he had heard about this happening from time to time but never seen it himself.

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2015 at 09:20 AM ----------

Richard - found some of the footage of orca eating rays in this episode of Young Ocean Explorers here (Steves side project with his daughter ) [video=youtube_share;I4kBlpfySbQ]http://youtu.be/I4kBlpfySbQ[/video]

For other stuff have a look at the Young Ocean Explorers website Young Ocean Explorers

And the TEDx talk Riley and Steve did a couple of weeks ago [video=youtube_share;UzA_CTkn7vk]http://youtu.be/UzA_CTkn7vk[/video]

I wonder if their have been many instances of Orcas attacking humans, I would presume that by watching the video that the Orcas do not present a threat to those in New Zealand. Is that a common reaction towards Orcas every where else? Its odd because they can devour seals and also kill large prey you would think they would have no problem going after humans.

Here in southern CA when some one says there where sightings of Orcas (very rare down here) it scares everyone. A few years ago I remember my friend freaking me out when he saw the fins first and then I saw them, we both paddle our flipping arms off back, to shore. I guess if I would have known more about these guys it wouldn't have freaked me out so much.

Last edited:
IMG_6681_zpscb21b58b.jpg

That's on the wreck of the Esso Bonaire out of Jupiter, Florida. Within about a yard of my hand, holding on by a finger or two due to current.

And now, let's take a look at that rough (i.e.: fish may have moved around a bit) scene with the camera flash set to 'On' at close range, and noting the dive guide's wreck reel/hook gadget behind but close to the animal.

IMG_6677_zpsf8f1c75e.jpg

A scorpionfish. If you want to see them in shallow water, on a shore diving trip to the island of Bonaire, keep an eye out in the rubble of the shallows. Like where I and some others sometimes extend bottom time at the end of a dive by exploring right off the bottom. Right over these things, potentially.

Richard.

I have been chased by more than one blue crab over the years. Once one was swimming away from me and I watched him do a wide arch as he turned around and came after me....

Hippos kill more people than crocodiles.

I didn't see anyone mention oceanic whitetips. I have played with a lot of sharks, but those oceanics are a special kind of mental. I would also submit false killer whales, not because they have the infamous history of OWT's, but because of what they are capable of. Mammals in general are scary because they have the mental capacity for spite, but add in the size, voracious appetite and psychotic idea of playtime and you have an animal that is capable of just about anything. I have seen them rip wahoo in half. A fish that size being torn in two sounds like velcro. I have also heard firsthand accounts of them accosting a whale shark, not for food, just because they could. False killer whales remain, in my mind, one of the absolute kings of the ocean.

I wonder if their have been many instances of Orcas attacking humans, I would presume that by watching the video that the Orcas do not present a threat to those in New Zealand. Is that a common reaction towards Orcas every where else? Its odd because they can devour seals and also kill large prey you would think they would have no problem going after humans.

Here in southern CA when some one says there where sightings of Orcas (very rare down here) it scares everyone. A few years ago I remember my friend freaking me out when he saw the fins first and then I saw them, we both paddle our flipping arms off back, to shore. I guess if I would have known more about these guys it wouldn't have freaked me out so much.

Z Gear,
I have heard Dr. Ingrid Visser say that the only recorded attacks by Orca on human have been by those in captivity. FYI - she has dedicated her life to researching Orca and if you see one New Zealand we dial 0800 SEE ORCA to let her know where they were sighted and what they were doing.

In addition I know several people personally who have swum with them in the wild, e.g. my three friends who filmed the clip of the Orca playing with the anchor warp, another guy who swam with one while spearfishing on the coast just north of Auckland, another who filmed Orca on a spearfishing trip to White Island (off the east coast of NZ), as well as Steve Hathaway who has filmed them quite a few times. (Oh, and Dr. Visser herself - although I have only seen her doing a talk once - I have not spoken to her directly).

I didn't see anyone mention oceanic whitetips. I have played with a lot of sharks, but those oceanics are a special kind of mental.

See reference to Rodney Temple on the first page. A diver getting eaten by a pair of them starting on a ledge at 200' and change is uncomfortably similar to a lot of the diving out here.

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Hunter S. Thompson (Dr. Gonzo)

Clown fish have gotten up in my face before when hovering around there anemone - found it kinda funny
DM mentioned they have bopped people in there mask when you get too close

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom