are there any small compact flareguns for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrockosaurus:
have an old hard drive laying around? yank it apart and use the platters for your mirror. then you can use the actuator magnets for the fridge too
First, check dates - we're resurrecting a thread that 'paused' over a year ago.

Second, sorry Joel, but thats bad scoop. I'm sure the platters are mirrored surfaces that are ultra-reflective - but you need to be able to aim the mirror flashes at an aircraft while its flying. Older rescue helicopters like a Huey flew patterns at something between 140-160 knots, I've no idea what airspeed the fixed wing or more modern helicopters use, but it is not likely slower than that. (Its a decision involving time on station versus the amount of sea surface the aircraft can cover given fuel on board.)

Take a look at a mil spec rescue mirror. It has two separate layers laminated together, and the hole in the middle has an aiming grid. If you look through the hole, you will see a bright spot superimposed over the image coming through the hole. That bright spot is the flashpoint. You need to superimpose that bright spot over the aircraft and then track the aircraft as it flies along with the spot to aim the flashes at the pilot. It isn't rocket science, but it gets easier with a little practice.

This is why CDs or other highly reflective surfaces are basically a hit or miss proposition. They're highly reflective, true, but you cannot aim them at a flying aircraft with any precision long enough to catch the pilot's attention. (Remember that at any altitude at all the surface of the sea on a sunny day sparkles and flashes from sunlight. It's being flashed constantly over a period of time that gets the pilot's attention.)

FWIW...

james croft:
I cary a MK13 day/night flare taped to my knife sheath. Been down with it over 130 many times' with no problems. All metal construction with a "poptop" type lid on it to make it completely waterproof. It has a roman candle type night flare that will light up a huge area as well as smoke day flare that makes a large orange cloud that is very noticable. I can't tell you where to buy them as this stuff is military issue. I just rinse it off good after each dive and I have never had one fail to ignite. The label wears off quickly but you can tell the night side from the day side by the braille method. It has a series of raised dots on the night side. I would suspect a marine survival company that maintains life rafts, etc may be able to locate some. Also they can get signalling mirrors (heliographs) with the sights on them. Avoid the plastic mirrors like the Gerber as the silver seems to diappear after being in salt water a while. Get the military milspec stuff if you can.

MK 13 Mod 0 are great, only problem is civillans can't buy them. I tried, don't know what the big deal is.

mossym:
i've heard of people using old cd's...but i'm not sure how well they work and aslo, how durable they are...

Don't really work for mirrors too well. They are VERY durable/tough though, try and break one in half some time, you'll be amazed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom