Are there any more fleet 1st stages that have a removable hard seat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't the sherwoods with the floating orifice fit your needs? I assume they still make them, but I'm not too familiar with their current line.

But, I agree, the best solution is to take steps to improve the care of your rental fleet. Any regulator, piston, diaphragm, gimmicky-auto-closure device, will suffer if not taken care of.

Proper equipment care really is the best answer. Any first stage that is repeatedly subjected to salt water intrusion is going to require too-frequent service and possibly replacement; most first stages that are cared for properly will remain happily in service for years.

In this case it sounds like the crew needs to be trained, and procedures with your customers modified. If the crew cannot (or will not) do the "easy" stuff right, I'd be very worried about relying upon them to perform more critical tasks.

Buying "better" regulators is not the solution.

Best wishes.

contact EDGE, the have unbalanced pistons made of Titanium. It was my idea for rentals, frankly it didn't catch on. Those regs will last a lifetime or two in renatl use, you will have to replace the normal service stuff, hoses as they wear out and mouthpieces. That is all. They won't corrode and you are fine with nitrox 40 and lower.

I think you'd be surprised at how affordable they are.

I'm very surprised these apparently didn't succeed in the 'rental' marketplace ! Any idea why it didn't catch on ?

I'm very surprised these apparently didn't succeed in the 'rental' marketplace ! Any idea why it didn't catch on ?

I think the resorts thought of edge/hog as a tec brand, I didn't market them well enough.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

if the problem is leaving the dust caps off, the Sherwood is NOT the solution, the dry air elements wil corrode quite quickly and it is a constant expense and issue.
Don't the sherwoods with the floating orifice fit your needs? I assume they still make them, but I'm not too familiar with their current line.

But, I agree, the best solution is to take steps to improve the care of your rental fleet. Any regulator, piston, diaphragm, gimmicky-auto-closure device, will suffer if not taken care of.

Looking for a good fleet 1st stage, unbalanced piston, with a removable hard seat. I am currently using the mark 2. Long story short between guests and DMs constantly leaving the dust caps off, the hard seats keep corroading. After a service they creep like crazy and basically have to be thrown away. I remember the old colipsos use to have a removable hard seat that I assume was replaceable. Is there any modern version? Or are we stuck paying out the ass for fresh mark 2s every season?

I know the obvious answer here is put the ****ing dust cap on. But dispite my best efforts I can't get this threw there heads.

Thanks for the replies

Just order new MK2 bodies and then do the service, you will find the dealer cost on the new MK2 bodies is extremely low, about the price of some manufacturer's parts kit for a first stage. These regs will stand up to years of abuse but once you see brass on that hard seat it is time for a new body. I just did 10 of these for less then what a new MK2/R295 would cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom