Are there any dive clubs on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brennan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

I just returned to Maui after many years in Seattle. Strangely -- although I did a fair amount of snorkeling while living on Maui, I never got into diving until I was living in Seattle. A BIG reason why I became such an active diver in Seattle was the local dive club I joined.

I've never been a "club" kinda guy (quite the opposite), but the benefits of being in that dive club were outstanding! People were diving ALL THE TIME. It was rare to have a weekend when somebody wasn't "hosting" a dive (basically, just posting that they would be diving a given site on a given day and asking if others were interested in diving it too). I got to know the local dives from the local divers. It was great!!

Are there any clubs here on Maui? It would be great as a source of dive buddies as well as a source of local info: where's the best (worst) place to get a reg serviced or a tank filled? Who's into photography and/or tech diving, and what are they up to?

Please let me know.

Mahalo,

Brennan

I looked for a long time but never found one :( however several of the local shops keep a "buddy book" ...

Maybe you could start a club :wink:

Aloha, Tim

I'd say you're looking at the closest thing to a club here -- ScubaBoard.

I know in the past there have been clubs, but the shops that provided benefits to them got burned.

I think the biggest issue was that visitors would go to the club for a dive buddy / guide instead of the shops that make their money doing that. If you do start a club, it would be wise to make it apparent that it's for locals only -- if you want any sort of discount / sponsorship at the shops, that is.

Having also just moved to the Big Island from Seattle I very much miss the rich community of divers and clubs. It is true that there was always someone to dive with on any given day of the week. And typically you just needed to shop up in one of a few different spots around the city and you'll find people you know en masse.

Does anyone know of any dive clubs up around the Kohala coast? Looking to the googles I see there are a few shop associated ones in Kona but I haven't found anything up north. (I guess I could just start my own... Big Island Long Hose Divers LOL)

Thanks!

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom