Are there any Andrea Doria dreamers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by WreckWriter
love to get a print of the cover art from Deep Descent.

Thank you for kicking me back into searching for the cover art. I now have a lead on the artist... I'll let people know if I end up locating prints...

Originally posted by Tavi
I realized no-one ever sees it this way, never will, unless some miracle takes place to allow visibility for the length of the ship!

As I understand it, and as reason would dictate, she's collapsed in on herself quite a bit now so doesn't look like that anyway. Hell of a painting though!

Tom

Originally posted by funky__monks
I'll let people know if I end up locating prints...

Please do.

Tom

Why? To say you did it? I don't know you're level of experience so I may be out of line. How deep have you gone on air? On enriched air? How cold at depth? It's a nice thought, but there are plenty of wrecks to do that are challenging. Try those first, ascertain your skills and budget, then consider a wreck dive to 240 feet, over 3 hours of deco, and all the variables. As long as you're lucky and rich, go for it.

Originally posted by hawgfish
Why? To say you did it?

Yes.. precisely. Well, that and to see if I can find my father-in-laws sweater! :)

[Don't worry, the Doria isn't in my 1 year plan... although it's in my 10 year plan...]

Well, I'm not rich, but, I am lucky. I'm a few years away from being able to do a dive like this, but, if there's anything left of her, I'd love to dive it.

Like many people I find myself facinated by this wreck, although, I understand it's no longer the most challenging wreck around. I loved the book "Deep Decent" and I've read a bunch of Gary Gentile's books about the Doria, reading the stories about those early NY/NJ guys out there diving her on air with all "old school" is pretty immpressive. I'd love to get on her myself, even if it was just touch a dive, although china would be sweet.

I don't see a problem with people having the Doria as a goal. Like I posted before, she's in my backyard and while I don't know if I'll ever see her decks, it's fun to dream. :)

Dreams? Sure!

Plans, no.

I've read the books..."The Last Dive," "Deep Descent," etc., and sure would love the chance to check it out.

A few months ago, I was in our LDS and a guy walked in carrying a nice piece of Doria 2nd class china, which I immediately recognized from the mark. He had promised it to one of the guys who works in the shop. He then told a few tales about trips to the wreck -- compelling enough to make me linger and listen for a good long time. From what he said, and from what I've read here and on other sites, it really is collapsing quite quickly now.

But it sure would've been an experience to be in on some of those early expeditions out there. And thanks to all of those who've posted accounts, pictures (Christina Young's site is excellent), and written books about their Doria dives -- it allows dorks like me to live vicariously.

but there are other wrecks I'd rather see, Like the WW 1 Gerrman fleet at Scapa Flow, the Gunilda, and the Justicia.

Still, there is that allure.

Dive safe,
Brock

The Doria is definitely on my list of MUST DIVE wrecks.....and I plan to dive her next summer. I would also LOVE to dive the Lusitania, but it seems that the government in Ireland are severely restricting diving on her.

Why do I want to dive these two wrecks? They are not just wrecks, they are pieces of history. If the Titanic were within diving depths, I would dive it too. Who knows, maybe in 20 years technology will allow us to dive to such extreme depths. I can hope, can't I? :D

Mike

Back
Top Bottom